Purple Waffle plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,
I ordered this plants from ebay called Purple Waffle plant (link below) , got it last week and it's in my tank for almost a week now. It's beautiful big healthy plant and I LOVE it. But now that I want to know more about it, it turned out to be a bog plant and not aquatic!!

Is that true? Anybody have the purple waffle as aquatic plant successfully? The ad on ebay siad she had it in her 'system' which I took as 'aquatic tank' (since the title said aquatic plant) for 6 months, so this should mean it should be ok fully submerged?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251449960672?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

So if it's not aquatic, I'll have to take it out and try to plant it inside before i can take it out for my bog, but it's tropical so I think it'll die in winter :(

Suggestion on what to do with it is welcome... I really love the look of this plant.
Anya

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:cry: do more search and all said it'll die in a while... so going home today to put it in a small closed pot for my bog in spring... I dont want it to die in my tank as my nitrate is already high, dont want to add to that.

Oh well, I'm just getting a nice bog/house plant out of it. It's even said to be very good with helping rid of air pollutant in the house, so that's a plus :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about this plant, but some plants have the ability to grow both underwater or on dry land.

Switching it, though, could stress the plant out enough to kill it. In other words, if it was grown underwater, you'll probably want to keep it underwater, or if it was grown out of water, you'll want to do that. The best way to switch would be slowly introduce it to its new environment by slowly submerging it or taking it out over a period of days. Again, I don't know if any of that applies to this specific plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks JB. Every where I read said it'll die in a few weeks-months if fully submerged though. I'm hoping to hear otherwise.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Weird the site says for in aquarium use, send the seller a message and ask how it does under water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a frost tender houseplant, that likes wet soil. Supposedly has some herbal interest. What gets my interest, it looks very much like a common weed here, which I have yet to put a name on, Which is not frost tender.

3. Phytochemistry and Pharmacology
Phytochemicals have been used as drugs, dyes, and food supplements from time immemorial.
The phytochemicals are variety of secondary metabolites, with contributive curative property.
The phytoconstituents present in H. colorata are phenols, saponins, flavonoids, terpenoids
[9], coumarins, carbohydrates, carboxylic acid, xanthoproteins, tannins, proteins, alkaloids, steroids
and sterol

The leaves of the plant contain flavonoids, polyphenols, tannins
along with high potassium and low sodium levels; stem contains
saponins and tannins, while roots contain flavonoids and
polyphenols. These phytochemicals provide curative properties.

3.1 Anti-bacterial activity
Benzene extract of H. colorata leaves has showed its activity
against Acinetobacter species and Streptococcus aureus [11]
Phenolic compounds found in the extract are responsible for the
activity.

3.2 Anti-diabetic activity
The evaluation of hypoglycaemic and anti-diabetic properties
revealed that the n-hexane and, to some extent, the ethanol extracts
of the whole plant were found to lower the levels of blood glucose
in glucose fed rats. The steroids and coumarins present in the
extract provide anti-diabetes activity [7]

3.3 Wound healing activity
The crude leaf paste promotes excision wound healing [12, 13]. In
mice, the leaf paste provides faster wound contraction and
epithelialisation but oral administration is seen ineffective [14]. The
excision and incision wound model studies revealed that
methanolic extract is comparable to standard reference Vokadine
[15]. The herbal scaffold made from chitosan was highly haemostatic
and can be effectively applied for infectious wounds [16]

3.4 Anti-oxidant activity
Phenolic compounds are effective hydrogen donor which makes
them a good antioxidant. The phenolic acids such as chlorogenate,
cinnamate, coumarate, gallate and ferulate present in the plant acts
as pro-oxidants and exhibits free radical scavenging activity [

(http://florajournal.com/vol1issue3/aug2013/1.1.pdf)

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/albums/adavisus.438/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just got reply back from the seller and she said she had it in her tank for a year now fully submerged and it's doing ok.

I see a little new growth on it so I'm going to keep an eye on the new growth to see if that's new or old one. I'm going to keep it submerged for a little longer.

Thanks Andy, it's very interesting. Especially it said that it contain tennin but my water has not changed color yet :) that's a good thing. I'm hoping it's going to work as aquatic plant :) love it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I brought in one of my tropical plants two years ago from my bog and it did very well, put it out the next year and did well. I forgot to bring it in this year so it's gone now I am sure after the winter we had. What i did to bring it in was bought an oil change pan from walmart filled it up with gravel planted my bog plants and then took water from my aquarium and filled it up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some I bought in, then noticed they were surviving the winters, started leaving them out, but bet this winter wiped them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's interesting. I also always thought that lemongrass won't tolerate cold but last year it came back after winter by itself too. But with this year many winter storms, I'm not sure if it'll come back like last time.

I had too many tropical plants (I'm from Thailand so I have many plants I have to have especially for cooking) and had to bring them in every winter, it got to the point that the plants took over the whole room and some died anyway from the heat from the heater (got too dry) so I got tired of it. Now I have only a few must have. I'm trying not to get more plants that I need to bring in ;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was down to two I bought in, which also lived outside over winter, this last fall did not bring any in, don't think they survived.

Ask a Question