PVC OK for Fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Barryian asked: "What are your fish afraid of that they need to hide? lol ... ok, just a joke!"

I have lived in the Western NC mountains for 2 years. Have seen many black bears, but they never came to my pond, that I know of. At least the fish had not acted scared and gone to the bottom for any length of time indicating this. So, when I looked at my pond last week and saw a big ole' bear pawing at the leaf net and splashing water out of the pond I figured I'd better do something. Wish I'd gotten a picture, but I was quicker to yell at him to leave than pick up my phone and shoot pix.

So that's why I'm hoping to give them some more protection. I was hoping for something heavier than PVC and was looking at clay chimney flue pieces. But a 2 ft length of 24" square clay flue pipe costs $150! A little more than my retirement budget will allow. So 12" PVC sewer pipe it will have to be. At $39 for an 8 ft piece it's a bargain!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get those plastic ditch pipes .I used them to extend my culvert pipe .A 10 foot long length cost me 29 dollars and I cut some off to use for planters .I bought the 14 inch and the 18 inch .It looks like the metal culvert type but costs less .I took a hack saw with me to lowes to cut it so I could get it in my truck .Better is to use a battery operated saw all

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can even use a square black trash can .I used the top of a kitty littler box with a rock put through the handle .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can get those plastic ditch pipes .I used them to extend my culvert pipe .A 10 foot long length cost me 29 dollars and I cut some off to use for planters .I bought the 14 inch and the 18 inch .It looks like the metal culvert type but costs less .I took a hack saw with me to lowes to cut it so I could get it in my truck .Better is to use a battery operated saw all

Sissy,

You found 14 and 18" pipe at Lowe's? The largest I can find there is 12" diameter. I think maybe I'll check out a plumbing supply place, though. Maybe they stock bigger diameters. If that fails I think I'll go with a small office size trash can or cut some "doors" in a large storage container. thx for the ideas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to go to the lowes in NC because the one in Danville had the sign up and none in stock .That was back when I rocked the ditch and I think that was 2010 so maybe they don't carry them any more .I have not looked in that area of the store .I know even tractor supply carried them back then at least around here they did .Anything will work as long as you can way it down but will get fragile over time .My neighbor uses a stock tank like tractor supply sells sorry fuzzy pics
100_8589.JPG
100_8590.JPG
just used my jig saw to cut a hole in it and since it was heavy it did not float .She used the small 8 inch high oval one .I use the bigger ones for my filter tanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had to go to the lowes in NC because the one in Danville had the sign up and none in stock .That was back when I rocked the ditch and I think that was 2010 so maybe they don't carry them any more .I have not looked in that area of the store .I know even tractor supply carried them back then at least around here they did .Anything will work as long as you can way it down but will get fragile over time .My neighbor uses a stock tank like tractor supply sells sorry fuzzy pics View attachment 95768 View attachment 95770 just used my jig saw to cut a hole in it and since it was heavy it did not float .She used the small 8 inch high oval one .I use the bigger ones for my filter tanks

Thanks, Sissy. Just checked the local Tractor Supply and you're right. They've got 'em. But I'm thinking the 40 gallon one may be the best size for my pond. Pond is only about 3 ft. deep where I'm hoping to put their cave. Hoping it's big enough for 6 2 year old fish...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing about the oval ones it gives you a place to put potted plants and it is really heavy duty .We put my neighbors lily plants and I gave her a couple of rooted mini cattails to her and they hide the cave .It is more than big enough .She has 15 fish over 6 inch's and they all hide in there .She called me 2 days after we put it in ,she was panicked and did not see a fish and thought something ate them .I threw some food in and out they come .She felt silly .But I got a good laugh .She got the 40 gallon one .I also drilled holes in the side of it to tie coated wire so it can pulled out if needed

Ask a Question