3" PVC 3-way valve? Wye?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am beginning construction of my bog filter. The bog is an addition onto an existing pond with waterfall. Bog and waterfall will need some flow adjustment. So, I'm shopping for the ideal three-way valve to divert and adjust water flow to the bog and waterfall. Anyone know of a good brand/model in the 3" size? I've been striking out at pond supply websites and amazon.
My setup is all 3" flex PVC.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why spend the money on a three way valve you could do the same with shut off valves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would say the same as @GBBUDD - install some ball valves on each line and play around with them to adjust your flow. Buy good ones though - and lubricate them before installing. We learned the hard way!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy recommends American ball valves if I remember correctly they have white handles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am beginning construction of my bog filter. The bog is an addition onto an existing pond with waterfall. Bog and waterfall will need some flow adjustment. So, I'm shopping for the ideal three-way valve to divert and adjust water flow to the bog and waterfall. Anyone know of a good brand/model in the 3" size? I've been striking out at pond supply websites and amazon.
My setup is all 3" flex PVC.

Thanks!
My guess would be that whatever isn't going to the bog will be fed to the waterfall (this will be the case for me). Just use single ball valve at the bog. If you are in need of 2" ball valves I have a few that I could let go of for super cheap.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy recommends American ball valves if I remember correctly they have white handles

Those are the ones! Although mine have red handles, which are removable so I can store them inside. They'll last longer if they aren't left out to bake in the sun. Our original ball valves the handles cracked off - problem number one we had with those. They stopped moving easily after a few months, then stopped being able to move at all without using a hammer on them. Then the handles cracked from being hammered. Then we replaced them. And we all lived happily ever after!

Seriously though - I warn everyone. Don't cheap out on your ball valves.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jared Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? This one (Oase) only goes up to [I think] 1-1/2.” I have never found anything comparable, but as @GBBUDD and @Lisak1 said, you could easily DIY something to meet your needs — and in fact, you could customize it. I like this one, it does have its limitations.

8DB170EF-A5EB-4C69-9697-947B13C7240B.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are the ones! Although mine have red handles, which are removable so I can store them inside. They'll last longer if they aren't left out to bake in the sun. Our original ball valves the handles cracked off - problem number one we had with those. They stopped moving easily after a few months, then stopped being able to move at all without using a hammer on them. Then the handles cracked from being hammered. Then we replaced them. And we all lived happily ever after!

Seriously though - I warn everyone. Don't cheap out on your ball valves.

Mine are not necessarily cheap I just got a crazy good deal on them and wont be using them. Pretty sure they are all American made too. American plastic does have a tendancy to have better tensile strength and last longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do have a 3" American ball valve at the output to my external pump in the garage (red handle.) Like you both say, it does seem nice and sturdy after two winters (though it's been protected inside the garage where my external pump is plumbed.)

I was hesitant to go with two single ball valves since it felt like it would limit flow more than a three-way. I was worried that restricting each line individually would waste throughput. But I trust that you guys say it's probably fine.

I'll simply purchase two 3" ball valves.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice!

~Jared

Ask a Question