Question about a waterfall box

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I’m new to both forum and having a pond. The waterfall box I have the filter going to seems to get slimy inside. Should I clean it out as it happens quite fast after cleaning, so it would be a constant endeavor
I’m really hoping it’s something beneficial, or maybe there should be some kind of media in there? Any recommendations all?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you have a water fall box that was meant to be a bio-falls, the purpose is to put media in it and leave it alone for the season for beneficial bacteria to grow. I use matala filters, but you can use lots of things - lava rock, regular filters, bio-balls, etc.

Biofalls filters (2).jpg

Biofalls filters (1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
What if all those would you recommend to use? And there wasn’t anything that came with it or any spaces devoted to fitting anything, so I need to find a way to anchor it in there?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the forum! You'll like it here!

A. That "slime" is called biofilm. That's good stuff! All part of your pond's natural filtration system.

B. Your waterfall box should be able to accept the Matala filters - they come in standard sizes, or you can buy them to cut size. Or you can put bioballs in a net bag to hold them together and put that in the filter. @cas 's illustration shows a biofalls with both.

Show us what your biofalls looks like and we can be more helpful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So another dumb question then, I’ve put some filter media pads in the waterfall box before and they got gunned up quite fast and it was seemingly clogged up, is that what you want to happen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, you don't WANT it to happen, but it does happen. That's why they're there! The stuff you're filtering out has to go somewhere, right?

If you aren't concerned about mechanical filtration, you could turn it into a biological filter and remove the pads and add some plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately I have the top of the waterfall box covered so wouldn’t get any sun, otherwise that’s be an interesting idea
Another question while I’m at it, is it normal when the aerator bubbles surface they don’t vanish but actually linger? Not sure if that’s an indication of something?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

It always helps us in answering questions if we have more information about your pond. Maybe you could tell us how big it is, how long it’s been up and running, and what kind of set-do you have? Pictures help, as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry yes. It’s about 2,400 gallons. We are in utah. Pictures will have to wait until tomorrow. I’m behind on upkeep this past year as I spent about 5 months in the hospital so I’m in the weeds more than a little bit.
I put the pond in about 2 years ago, and I was going fairly well before I up and got tremendously sick

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1649608375883.gif
@Steveiforgot

Sorry to hear about your illness and hope you make a good comeback w/your health and your pond.
I was thinking about turning my waterfall tank into a plant filter again also. I stuck Sweet Flag in there long ago and it really took off. Might try it again. I stuck one plant in there and it grew huge. That big black pot in the first photo I had put that white batting stuff in to try and collect the dirty fine stuff to make the water clearer. The second photo was after that Sweet Flag really took off! I should'a left it in there all this time. I know I would have had to take it out and cut it down off and on but bet my pond would be better for it now.

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Agree with everyone else here, the slime is good, and as far as the bubbles go, they can be caused by many things. Usually it is just a bit of a buildup of organics, so if your pond otherwise seems healthy it is nothing to worry about.

Ask a Question