Question about pond placement

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi,

I'm helping a friend with her backyard pond but the placement is a puzzle. She has good visibility to the two areas I took pictures of but she wants the waterfall facing the window so she can see it from inside.

The question is where to put it. Her house is on a slight hill so the enitre back fence slops down making it a perfect candidate for the waterfall to face away from her house, exactly what she does not want ;)

So the question is placement, either in front of the window as in pic 1 or off to the right in pic 2.

P1000234.jpg

P1000235.jpg

The problem with the right side is that there is a gate just off to the right (about 5 feet from the tree stump) as well making it a little cumbersome.

Athetically, the middle of the yard would make the pond a focal point which might mean more money to be spent making th earea around the pond more desirable.

She's looking at a 6wx8L 3.5-4feet deep with cascading waterfalls (at least 2).

Frankly, I'm stumped and I was hoping from some insight from you guys

And uh I gave her the coke plane :D

Reaction score
Why not put the water fall in the left corner, then you have a natural slope (although really small. If the only gate is on the right side, then as people come in from that gate they see the falls and the pond all in one. Just my 2 cents....

Reaction score
If those are the only two choice, I would go with the right. For one, she'll be able to hide any equipment on the side of the fence.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
nigil said:
Why not put the water fall in the left corner, then you have a natural slope (although really small. If the only gate is on the right side, then as people come in from that gate they see the falls and the pond all in one. Just my 2 cents....

My mistake. There are two gates one on each side

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
koikeepr said:
is that little airplane made out of a couple of coke cans? that's ingenious! LOL!

hehe yeah. the state fair usually has a few old farts who make them :)

PS3

Reaction score
put in it where pic 1 is right in the middle. make sure there is no sewer or cesspools
or undger fround power wries

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I can see the pond in line with your coke plane with the fall against the fence
And the tree 10ft to the left of the pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why don't you dig out that stump and put your pond there? It doesn't need to go all the way to the gate in your fence.

Reaction score
Slope of the yard should be of no concern. I can barely see any slope and beside, even on a really steep hill you can position falls anywhere unless we're talking about some massive structure. Once dug you will have all the dirt you need to create whatever you need.

Reaction score
...so where did it end up? I'd vote for where the stump is, some shade and closer to house also getting rid of stump.

Reaction score
Wherever you put it, the dirt you dig up is a great opportunity to use for making nice natural-looking hills for your ponds to run up to. ...and of course to hide equipment...

Ask a Question