Question about releasing the gas build up under ice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow..amazingly different opinions!!

That's the cool thing about this forum! You'll hear lots of different viewpoints from people who are actually "doing ponds". Read and ask questions and then apply what you hear to your own pond set up. Consider all the variables - pond size, construction, climate, etc. - and choose the direction that makes sense to you. This hobby should be relaxing and fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well that is not too bad, hardly any winter ! If I lived down there I would leave pumps run for sure. If you have external filter box, I would put small heater in that so box does not ice up on coldest nights. I leave my pumps going even in minus 40 below zero and have done so since 1991. Big koi need good water flow cause biggest risk is for them, as the biggest koi use the most oxygen.
No need to worry about super chilled water, no such thing in ponds or rivers. Super chilled water only happens in upper clouds or labatory. Only pure water can be super chilled. Water on earth has too many salts and minerals for that to happen.

A bit late in the thread to ask this but.... i wanna know about what heater would i put in an external filter to avoid freezing. I want to run mine all winter and I'm afraid the pump is now in the skimmer so we have a potential freeze. Maybe i can leave one in the skimmer.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
A bit late in the thread to ask this but.... i wanna know about what heater would i put in an external filter to avoid freezing. I want to run mine all winter and I'm afraid the pump is now in the skimmer so we have a potential freeze. Maybe i can leave one in the skimmer.
I have not run external filters during winter. I just run my (below water) big round EZbio filters, and pump suited to filter size. I fear the external filters can freeze during extreme winters as water loses pressure inside cannisters, which could freeze as it is exposed to frozen ground and air. Pumps and filters that are below water, below ice, are less problem.

I may run my external new Pond Max filter during fall, but will shut that down when tempertures fall below minus 10 or 15 below celsius.

I use one large 1500 watt cattle heater (for all 4 connecting ponds) to keep holes open in ice.

I have a winter thread too if you are interested. Will get link from computer later. Right now pesty fly bugging me:alien:. Flies looking for warm winter home these days...

Ask a Question