Question about running pond through the winter..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw one ponder that attached hosing in a circle on a black painted board and put it in the sun .They ran the water through the loops and back into the pond .Not sure how it worked as they stopped coming on here .Like a solar hot water heater .They had it mounted high up off the ground .Not sure how well it would work in really cold temps and with less sunlight to heat it all up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about covering my pond this Winter. It is about 8' by 9'. How much of an open space to you leave at the top to allow for oxygen and gas exchange. I wonder if the ground would be warm enough to keep my pond from freezing over if I did not run a heater of any sort. My pond goes over 4' into the ground. I assume you use the clear material so that Sunlight can get through the the pond to heat it and to provide light for the algae to perform photosynthesis?
You wont get a perfect seal by placing the sheeping ver the pond my friend , we just tape the two together and then place a third over the top of that .
Your pond is in the ground though , what did you do for insulation around it ?

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
frost line in NJ is 2 to 3 feet but he lives in North Jersey so I would go with 3 ft frost .When I dug footings for mt front porch in Jersey they had to be 3 ft . deep by code and I lived in Edison .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have left the pumps run throughout the winter. We rarely get that much ice over the surface - maybe an inch. The stream never freezes over but if I shut down the pump it probably would.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have left the pumps run throughout the winter. We rarely get that much ice over the surface - maybe an inch. The stream never freezes over but if I shut down the pump it probably would.

What state are you in? Whats the coldest it gets by you?

Reaction score
I live in wisconsin, and don't use a heater. Last year we had 7.5 ft of frost and the pond didn't freeze solid. You just need a pump facing towards the surface and that is it. I keep a heater in the pond just in case, but a 1250 watt heater spins the dial quickly.

Reaction score
yep good bacteria dies out and the temp .dies at is up for debate .I was told by ponddigger that it will start to die at 40 degrees water temp .but others say less temp. and all depends on your pond depth and how much sun your filter gets .My filters are insulated under and around them and then a liner on top and then my filter tank goes inside and this way if the filter ever leaks it all runs back in the pond .Even my hose for my pumps run inside my filters and up so if anything happens they run back inside the pond also .I just wing it .:)does not matter if bio is dead it still helps keep the water clear .oh plus my pond gets ground heat since it is not far from my septic tank
Thanks for the septic tip info. Mine also and I feel a bit better about my fish this first winter now.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What do you do with your pump leave it outside or bring it in?
I re-purpose it. Chocolate strawberries anyone?

chocolate-fountain.jpg

Actually, I just leave it in the pond underwater.

Ask a Question