Question (electrical in nature)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A little back story.

When our whole house generator was being installed by N.E.C. code "all" grounds must be connected. They ran a ground wire to our submersible well pump. I questioned it by asking if I were to have a near lightning strike the well pump is now part of the equation and my electrician agreed but did not have a solution, He must follow code for the permit to pass.

well I have the same uncertainty with my pond pump of giving a ground path through my pump to the house main panel.

I have a somewhat above knowledge of electricity but can not find an answer to this question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow Beercan3, I too would be worried! I guess each state has their own codes. When they installed our generator, it had to have 'dedicated' grounding that can't be shared. Our garden sprinkler's well pump also has its own grounding that isn't shared. I would get a second opinion from another certified electrician. I know they aren't cheap, but the peace of mind is worth it. What you have just doesn't sound right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My electrician husband said, install, get inspected, then ground the pumps via a ground rod, or just disconnect the ground wire they run.

Mine are grounded just via the 3 prong plug.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I guess each state has their own codes.
N.E.C = National Electrical Code. I have seen municipality's go above the code regulations but they can not omit codes.

I failed to mention my well is a 29' deep with an average of 19' of water..... under the floor of my media room. yeah sometimes it sucks to be me.

I'm liking the idea that @addy1 suggested by disconnecting the grounding wire on the well. I have had close lightning strikes (less than 50") and never lost a well pump..... knock on wood.

The generator has passed all permits, construction, electrical and plumbing.

I also like the idea of a independent grounding rod for the pond pump. I'll have to figure out to get a grounding rod in the ground full of boulders.

@addy1 If you can run this past hubby, let him know I am grateful for his advice. Thank You.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 If you can run this past hubby, let him know I am grateful for his advice. Thank You.
He said you are welcome. Used to work for NIH keeping their stuff running.

To him better to not have all on the same ground. A grounding rod, would work best for the pond pump, give you peace of mind, or like me just gamble it won't get hit. We don't get many strikes near us, lots of tall trees to take the hits.

I have no grounding rod, just the three prong plug. So far strikes near but never a full hit. Full hit, might get fried. Everything on surge protection, but lightening does not seem to care it burns through them.

Our well, no clue, never had it inspected, most are 300 feet plus deep, wires come out head to the house. It has been running since we moved here in 09 and who knows how long before that. Fingers crossed it keeps running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe a whole house surge protector will give you peace of mind. I added one after a lightning strike fried a bunch of things in my house. The damage was quite costly.

I bought a Square D whole house surge protector that was around $120 on Amazon.

It mounts to the outside of your circuit breaker panel. The wires pass through a knockout on the side of the panel and tap into each phase of the panel.

I have a Square D Homeline panel. My application was easy. I shut off the main breaker so that everything below it was now dead. Each phase had a threaded stud right below the main breaker. The wires from the surge protector went on these studs and a new flanged locking hex nut holds them tightly.
I did have to crimp a loop stak-on to the end of each wire to slip over each stud.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I installed 4 ot underground around the pond to take any hits. not to mention the 2 ot that circles the top of the pond that's also a bird diverter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe a whole house surge protector will give you peace of mind.
I'm liking this idea a lot. If I do go this route I will also have a battery back up installed not a big one but one that will hold the digital clocks in the house a few seconds between the time the transfer switch kicks out and generator starts. so bothersome having to reset all the clocks IE stove, microwave, especially the coffee maker. Ya don't get in between a bear and her cubs... yeah, Yeah don't get in between my wife and her morning coffee. Tee Hee Hee, grumble, grumble.

I'm not to worried about a spike from the main panel to the well pump that has good protection but vice versa from the well to the main panel, that one would fry the fridge, freezer, media room Etc.

You all have given Me a lot of good idea to protect my equipment. A very Hats off humble Thank You.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah don't get in between my wife and her morning coffee
lmao . as i just got a bite taken from you know wear as i just did that very thing as i'm working on the house and had the power off to her coffee pot. I never touch the stuff

Ask a Question