Question for those of you that cover your pond for the cold winter months

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I am in Md. also ( N of Balto. ) and have a 2500 gal pond with 11 large koi. Every winter I shut every thing down except 2 large aerators that run 24/7. I have a PVC frame ( 1-1/2" ) that I put over my pond. I then drape clear "reinforced poly" over the pond and use bricks etc on the edges the keep the wind from blowing it, Reinforced poly is clear with nylon strings inside . Very tough, The light comes through it very well and this acts as a hot house. The water very seldom freezes but during extreme cold the water will have a skim of ice. I keep a heater on hand for those few times. This has worked extreemely well for me over the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am in Md. also ( N of Balto. ) and have a 2500 gal pond with 11 large koi. Every winter I shut every thing down except 2 large aerators that run 24/7. I have a PVC frame ( 1-1/2" ) that I put over my pond. I then drape clear "reinforced poly" over the pond and use bricks etc on the edges the keep the wind from blowing it, Reinforced poly is clear with nylon strings inside . Very tough, The light comes through it very well and this acts as a hot house. The water very seldom freezes but during extreme cold the water will have a skim of ice. I keep a heater on hand for those few times. This has worked extreemely well for me over the years.
Thanks for your post big Ron!
Using 1-1/2" PVC is smart. I only use 3/4" and its definitely not strong enough. I'm have to redo mine with larger pipe. There have been times mine has collapsed, but the funny thing is that it usually pops back up on its own!
I would be interested in obtaining that reinforced clear sheeting you mentioned.
Where did you purchase it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Thanks for your post big Ron!
Using 1-1/2" PVC is smart. I only use 3/4" and its definitely not strong enough. I'm have to redo mine with larger pipe. There have been times mine has collapsed, but the funny thing is that it usually pops back up on its own!
I would be interested in obtaining that reinforced clear sheeting you mentioned.
Where did you purchase it?
This is where I bought it, " XPOSE Safety " Look up clear reinforced poly. Try to get 6 mil. ( thickness )

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live near the NC border in VA and I get ice that covers the pond and it can be over an inch thick .Thing I worry about is something happening that you may not see because of the cover .I know I had my pond almost empty out 1 year and I was out there in a snow storm trying to get water back in the pond ..Luck I have a well and a inside spigot in the basement to get water from .The ice covered the pond and I did not notice until the ice started to cave in .I made the mistake that year of leaving a spitter pump in the pond because my deicer burned out .Trying never to do that again .Snow storm and cold temperature snuck in on me .The you never know can and may happen .It is not worth the risk to me anymore ,I am getting to old for this now

Ask a Question