Question on pond build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok...looking to take my 55 preformed gallon pond to a larger pond. Nothing to big .so here is the question...do I go with a large 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank or a 15x15 pond liner? Can get them both for the similar price. I can think of pro and cons to both but was curious to get opinions from the experts. Central indiana so will have some hard winters but plan to run a breather and areator.

Current set up 55 gallon preformed pumping water up to a 30 gallon bog planter cascading into preformed waterfall. Small pump with filter. Plan to keep bog planter and waterfall just change main pond. 4 small goldfish and about 8 to 10 rosey reds.

Let's hear your pros and cons on what type of pond base? Stock tank or liner?

Thanks. ..

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you are planning on a larger pond, you should aim for the largest pond that space and budget will allow. Keep in mind that in moving up in pond size (capacity). the pump and likely the biofilter will also need to be up-sized.
Personally I would never use anything but liner, regardless of pond size. very versatile and can be blended in with the existing landscape. I always felt that stock tanks were somewhat obtrusive and difficult to merge with the existing surrounding landscape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
so are you planning to submerge the tank or will it be all above ground? I was originally thinking preformed and partially underground. But I've read that it's not worth the trouble digging a hole larger than the pool dimensions and trying to back fill the dirt into the gaps. My guess is you'll eventually have sinking dirt around your pond, leading to cracks or PITA maintenance down the road. I'm in a similar boat as you, but next near I'll be starting from scratch. 100% sure I'll be doing a liner pond. I'll be interested in seeing your bog filter. Sounds like it may be the way to go for my pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like stock tank ponds on a farm type setting but for weather and ease i would go with a liner .Much easier to install since you already have the hole started with the preformed .I know you can get preformed at even 1000 gallons .They have them at a garden center I go to .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Keep the thoughts coming... much appreciated all .
I was planning on putting a stock tank fully in ground.
That was one of my concerns was settling with the stock tank. When putting in my current preformed I used an asphalt tapper as well as a bunch of sand but even with all that effort I noticed a little settling this year leaving it a little unlevel on one end. Concerns with the 300 gallon stock tank is it seems not that flexible so will not conform to it surroundings at all. So will need to fill with plenty of sand to support it.

Was looking at stock tank from local tractor supply store because they seem deeper than most preformed ponds in the size I'm looking.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is with a liner you could go deeper and it does not matter if it settles as long as you leave enough liner .Those stock tanks can be costly and heavier than a liner .I know I have a 300 gallon one but got it at a house auction and paid almost nothing for it but then moving it was another matter .WOW HEAVY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Question on liners...How durable are they?...I know there are different thickness but the one I have been looking at is 45 mil thick. Seems the squirel are always knocking in slate rock from my water fall feature..some have points so concern there is it might comprise the bottom pond liner. I guess it will be supported with sand and the bottom but a liner just seems less durable than a tank. But can also rationalize their is strength in flexibility with support over rugged with no flexibilty.

Thanks again all...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would be very concerned about trying to bury a stock tank - that hole would have to be perfectly level and allow for no settling AT ALL, which is basically impossible. Otherwise you'll have a cracked tank. Liner is the way to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
so are you planning to submerge the tank or will it be all above ground? I was originally thinking preformed and partially underground. But I've read that it's not worth the trouble digging a hole larger than the pool dimensions and trying to back fill the dirt into the gaps. My guess is you'll eventually have sinking dirt around your pond, leading to cracks or PITA maintenance down the road. I'm in a similar boat as you, but next near I'll be starting from scratch. 100% sure I'll be doing a liner pond. I'll be interested in seeing your bog filter. Sounds like it may be the way to go for my pond.

Below is a link to my set up with the bog filter. My bog plants died last two years so I am trying to overwintering some in the garage this year. This year had a canna, turtle heads, and a little mint growing in it. Let me know if you have questions...

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/trouble-with-neighbour-fishing-in-pond.15842/#post-245764

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sounds like liner is shaping up the way to posibly go....love all the input keep it coming

Liner is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I've had a preformed shell and although it was ok for a starter pond, I'm much happier with my 45 mil EPDM liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had 2 performs crack after winter. Both are replaced with liners. I also have 2 stock tanks, 300 gallon and 1000 gallon. Both leveled and installed on a layer of rock dust. Both have settled on one edge, after 3 yrs or so. It is a PITA to relevel them.

Ask a Question