New question about pumps

Reaction score
In a previous post I asked about lower wattage pumps. I do not have a bottom drain. I have a skimmer box opposite the falls. I am looking to purchase a new lower wattage pump as mentioned in a different post. Should I have a pump in the skimmer box (I know it doesn't function without) as well as one on the bottom of the pond? In other words do I need 2 pumps or will one be enough in the skimmer?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are going to use one pump for both, I did it that way in my az pond and it worked well, Had ball valve to be able to change the direction of flow dependent on where it was needed the most.

We used an exterior pump

Reaction score
Koiguy, you mentioned this in a previous thread "using 1 submersable, and never having to move it or have it clog...you can do as i do and put your pump by the falls...tee off the pumps inlet to multiple prefilters located around the pond. you draw water from different areas so no dead spots. i have black nylon string tied to mine so i can pull them up near the surface to remove them for the occassional cleaning.....like movable B.D.s" Do you have an inline pump? Otherwise I don't understand the part about teeing off the pump's inlet to multiple prefilters. Basically, I need to move the water around so no dead areas. I do have a small Laguna inline pump that I could put in the skimmer box but run it on a timer. Would that work? Then put the new Laguna 4200 in the bottom of the pond that everything slopes to. I still have the rocks in there but somehow have to figure out how to get them out.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
naturally you need a pump that has an inlet that you can screw in a hose adapter and fasten a hose on. run a short piece of hose to a 'tee' then off that 'tee' run the other lengths of hose to the locations of your choice. i use 2 large Tetrapond prefilters. they come with matala style filter media in them. this way the poop is collected in the matala before hitting the pump and getting pureed into poop pudding... even some pumps in cages have inlets for hoses. often the cage needs to be removed. your stone on the bottom is a real obsticle for debris and poop making it to the low point in the pond. if you can get them out your pump and filters functionality would vastly improve.

Reaction score
Thanks and now I understand how you did it for sure. I have one filter that came with the small laguna pump that has three parts or stages, 2 have mats then one has bio tubes. Would need more to hook to that inorder for this to work. Thanks for the help. Trying to find your plans for a bio filter. Thinking on building one yet this summer and remove the pressurized one.

Ask a Question