question re water hyacinths

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
I use the open top Skippy filters and rotate the hyacinths from the pond to the filter and back again. When they start to look a little brown, I transfer them to the filter and in a week or so, they look great.

Reaction score
aji1217 said:
I have both in my pond now, just has the lettuce added... ...Wondering which is gonna take over faster.

just saying that they grew incredibly fast, to the point of having to pull half of them out to let the fish get to the top of the water. 2 months ago I had a 1G ziplock baggie full. Last week I removed about 6 5G buckets full, and still have plenty left. Same in aquariums...

By the way, learned how to keep hyacinth indoors :D

saves me some cash next spring!

these two pictures were taken less than a week apart. (took me 5 days to build the top, and I planted it right before I started)

note the hyacinth in the top left corner :banana: smaller fish LOVE to hide in it, just gotta give it about 6" of clearance, and a closed top for humidity.

Attachments

• 100_0407.jpg
    100_0407.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 320

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Definetly not hyacinth. So this is Hornwort. Does it need gravel to hold it down and give the roots a place to grow?

Reaction score
yes as long as you plant it with the top up (which can be confusing and may take some breaking of the stems...once you see it grown you will understand) yes it will stay just like it looks int he pictures. As long as it is planted it shoots up. best bet in a tank/pond with thing that will uproot it, just weight the thickest part of them stem or stick it under the substrate.

It grows no matter what you do with it, and if it is below the surface it heads up.

honestly I just replaced most of it with anachoris (pics comeing once I am completely done with my remodel) just because I got tired of trimming it every week.

I just got some apple snails so hopefully they can keep it in check.I would highly suggest it with anything that eats lots of plants.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when you buy it,it comes in bundles with a lead like weighted band around it on the bottom , so you can just toss it in.

Reaction score
I use hornwort along with anachoris to cover the top of crats that set at the bottom of my pond. I placed & covered 4 crates through out my 3500 gal pond. The fish love this. They make great hiding places & a good place to lay their eggs. You would never know it was a crate down there. Water Hyacinths did not do well for me this year. Mine turned brown, black & rotted. They usually do so well, but not this year. Don"t know why they were rotting.

Reaction score
Wish you'd have thrown them my way;) I bought 4 of them a couple weeks ago. (30% off and by 1 get 1 free) They were quite healthy when I put them in, and one even shot a "baby" but now they are all but dead. The roots look great, but the leaves and bulbs are turning brown and I have had to trim alot off. As a result (I think) my water is now turning green.(water tests OK) I know I just started the pond up and am waiting for the balance to work itself out. I have 10 bunches of hornwort in the pond. Three of which I tied a river pebble to so they would sink to give cover at the bottom. I also have a potted watercelery and a potted aquatic mint in the upper pond and a ribbongrass, an iris, a water forget-me-not and an impatien in the bog. My water lily, although it has 4 leaves, has yet to break the surface.

Reaction score
This has been a weird year for my plants too. My lillies grew like crazy but never flowered. My hyacinths took off for a while and I had them over 1/2 the pond. They still look good but no flowers. My bog plants never flowered but grew like crazy. Maybe it was a strange year for all... Except the Dr's of course. LOL.

Ask a Question