question re water hyacinths

Reaction score
Dido,leeann. I brought my tropical lilly inside this weekend. It never had one bloom. The pads turn brown over night. No blooms on my iris either. We did not have a summer here in Ohio. My husband want's to try to keep some of the hyacinths in this year & see if they can get thru the winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how are these for september hiacynths? the runners and plants stick out over a foot past the edges of the filter and are lush green. to get an idea of heigth the waterfall weir is a foot wide(first pic). there are flowers all thru the plants but are below the foliage level. the ones in the pond are also doing well and flowering for the second time this season. but i wanted to show these, the ones that are out past the filter dont have any roots on them, or very little. they feed from the runners. this is like a 5' circle, with hiacynths that look like theyre growing in the rocks.

Attachments

• SANY0855.JPG
    SANY0855.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 256
  • SANY0854.JPG
    SANY0854.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 265
  • SANY0853.JPG
    SANY0853.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 269
  • SANY0852.JPG
    SANY0852.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 282
Reaction score
Hey koiguy those are impressive, no brown, 100% green and huge. I found the hyacinths in my filter did the best and I had 1 bloom which was cool. The ones in the pond don't seem to do as well. I've tried one in an aquarium that does seem to be dying but also not thriving. Thought I could save some $ in the spring but seems like it's a real challenge to get them to grow indoors without lot's of nutrients and light. Anyone else grow them indoors?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i will be bringing in some to over winter in my basement pond...im going to get 2 4' full spectrum (full sun) flourecent growing bulbs in place of the regulars ive been using. they will stay in the floating rings i made to keep my koi from eating all the roots off. run the lights on a timer 8-12 hours a day. i hope this works i would love to start the season next year with the ones i have.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
my they are doing well! koiguy .... mine are only doing well just under my bridge but still not as good as yours and no second flowering i was going to try a few outside in a frostfree place no harm trying because they are quite expensive here in the uk

Reaction score
Sure, just rub it in Koiguy.;) I've given up on my hyacinths. They are still in the water, but looking real bad. I stopped and picked up some water lettuce yesterday. Not sure if it was them or things are just working out, but I see a shadow of my lily basket This morning.:banana:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
poodles said:
Sure, just rub it in Koiguy.;) I've given up on my hyacinths. They are still in the water, but looking real bad. I stopped and picked up some water lettuce yesterday. Not sure if it was them or things are just working out, but I see a shadow of my lily basket This morning.:banana:

are your fish eating off all the roots? if they are build some "floating plant rings" so they cant get to them.. i made some..and my browning half dead hiacynths went to the shape they have been and still are..plans for the rings are in the DIY section.

Reaction score
No. The roots are fine. As full as when I got them. But for some reason the plants aren't doing well.;) On the positive side, I went out a little while ago and I'm beginning to be able to see my pump on the bottom! Things are getting clearer!:banana:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well you may still have a month or so to enjoy your plants and clear water before its time to prune back and start closing up the pond for winter. i'm closing mine up and putting my fish in the basement at the end of this month.

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mine EXPLODED this summer (what little we had) I threw away about 10 pounds of plants every other week for two months. My pond is super small, but they did great and my levels for Nitrate/Nitrite were spot on all summer.

I am going to try overwintering a few of the Hyacinth and the Water Lettuce inside too. Let me know how it goes. I'll be shutting down and pulling plants tomorrow - supposed to go to the 30's at night this week here.

Ask a Question