Questions about Water hawthorn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Water Hawthorn has its quirks. It goes dormant in warm summers, over 70f. Thrives in cooler waters of spring and autumn.

It sets prolific seed, which take a year to get to a flowering size, can in a couple of years be a big strong tuber (as photo above) then, pfft, dies

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had some nice ones and yep I should'a saved some of the many sprouts from the seeds that were floating around but I didn't and all the big plants just died away. So if you get any take some of the floating sprouts and plant them so you will have a chance of always having some.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted two, bought, one lived one died, over winter The one that lived has 4 leaves, will see how it does next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Water Hawthorn has its quirks. It goes dormant in warm summers, over 70f. Thrives in cooler waters of spring and autumn.

It sets prolific seed, which take a year to get to a flowering size, can in a couple of years be a big strong tuber (as photo above) then, pfft, dies
Sounds like a plant I don't need. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought 2 tiny tubers from Pond Megastore and planted them as instructed. They haven't sprouted---maybe because it's summer? But will they sit there until autumn and still be alive? I plucked one out of it's planted yesterday and it looks like the day I planted it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought 2 tiny tubers from Pond Megastore and planted them as instructed. They haven't sprouted---maybe because it's summer? But will they sit there until autumn and still be alive? I plucked one out of it's planted yesterday and it looks like the day I planted it.

Yep just leave them be and when it cools down they will grow. When they making floating baby seed plants save and plant those cuz sometimes the older plants just disappear.

Ask a Question