addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Per the net

"People actually add limestone to ponds to raise the ph. Koi and goldfish prefer high ph between 7.0 and 8.6. The maximum level that limestone can alter water is 8.3 . "

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a different opinion

Limestone gravel is not my first choice. The pond water will slowly dissolve the limestone gravel. If the water being used in the pond is not normally hard the limestone will make it that way. My own pond I used Limestone gravel 3/4 to 1″ round. The hardness of the water used for the pond is 450 ppm so the gravel didn't change it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok, that sound like a good plan. We have a wonderful store called "House of Rock"that sells all kinds of stone. I can always use the concrete blocks for making something else..... thank you so much! I am learning a lot! This 2 day project just seems to have a few "kinks" that are slowing me down a lot. One other question, the 2" pvc pipe I am running through the bog will be 10 ft long (5' and 5' lengths joined by a 45 degree elbow so it can follow the curve of the pond. I will attach the pump hose to one end and the cleanout pipe to the other end. Is that considered a long run? Should I be making the slits in the PVC 1" apart or wider?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I really don't know about lime stone rocks, we have quartz or shale in my yard. I did buy large boulders and a pallet of flat field stone when working on my ponds.
Considering weathered lime stone is the go to for most of the Aquasape pond builds i would have to say there is no issue but possibly a true benefit to using lime stone i would think it would help soften the water and it would only leach very slowly

Reaction score
Country
United States
okay, I can use whatever limestone I have and then finish with fieldstone. I don't think I will have enough of the limestone to build the entire bog wall.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should I be making the slits in the PVC 1" apart or wider?
My slits are around 6 inches apart. You are mainly trying to make sure water flows through a lot of the gravel. I placed my slits down and put some scrap liner under the pipes so the water would not be pounding on the main liner for years.

Ask a Question