Questions regarding cleaning out pond and building bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you. I have a lot of perimeter work to do now to hide the liner edges, but that is all fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am just sick. First of all, last night, around 3:00 a.m. I was up and noticed the motion detector light was on (which is near the pond). I looked out the window closest to the light and saw a raccoon walking to the pond. And then I saw him get into the pond! I slipped on sandals and went outside with a broom as a weapon (weak, I know), but he was gone by the time I got there, thankfully. In the morning I went to the pond, which is 20 steps from my backdoor, and had a look. This raccoon destroyed the perimeter of the pond liner (in places) which I hadn't yet finished securing and hiding under stone. And interestingly and worse, possibly, the water level is again lower than the 4" deep shelf. I guess I do have a leak. We have been having light rain on and off all day and I can't tell which side the water is leaking from. I counted the fish and all are still there. I guess they knew to hunker down in the deep part. But I am afraid he is going to figure out how to get them. The eleven that are big enough to recognize by their markings all have names. But I love and am so proud of their little dark babies, too. I watched them swim around all day not knowing what I could do in the rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh - I am so sorry! Did he chew the liner? Hopefully it's high enough that it won't affect the integrity of the liner.

Have you posted photos of your pond? Maybe we can spot some trouble areas to check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you. I will post new photos tomorrow. I did set out a Have-a-heart raccoon trap by the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our raccoons must not like our ponds, I never see them near them. No evidence of them messing with the plants or anything. I do get deer eating the lilies though. They love the pads.

Ask a Question