Quick question about water temp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi folks,

We've had this pond for about 7 years and the koi have been fine but the temps this year got a lot hotter than usual earlier (100-105) so even though its covered during the day I've added a side wind sail to block afternoon sun and I bought a temp sensor for the water. Just put it in tonight and its claiming the water is 88 but it doesn't seem to be that hot by touch and its claiming the temp inside is 79 but I've got the thermostat at 74 so is this just a problem with temp sensors because 88 at night in the pond when its 93 outside right now doesn't make sense.

Again I see nothing wrong with the fish, they are eating like crazy and seem fine but with the hot temps coming up earlier than usual I want to stay on top of it so any advice would be appreciated.

The pond is about 7x9x3 and has both a bottom drain and skimmer pump. The skimmer is 4800gph and the bottom drain pump is 5800gph just in case it matters.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'll bet that the water temperature is a lot cooler as you go deeper.

If your two pumps are indeed that powerful, you are definitely getting enough circulation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the temperature inside is 79 but you have the thermostat at 74.
Are you comparing the inside of your house with the water temperature in your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'll bet that the water temperature is a lot cooler as you go deeper.

If your two pumps are indeed that powerful, you are definitely getting enough circulation.

I'm not sure what you mean by the temperature inside is 79 but you have the thermostat at 74.
Are you comparing the inside of your house with the water temperature in your pond?
sorry I meant the 79 temp was what it was reading in the house with the thermostat on 74 so I thought what if the outside pond temp is also off?

Ask a Question