Raccoons and the pump

Reaction score
Hello -

This is my first post, and I'm glad to find this site!

I've kept water plants on my deck in washtubs and whatever I could find for years, until this year I decided to get a little more creative. I bought a feed trough that's about 5 x 2 at the local co-op and built a 2x12 frame around it. It is working out great for the plants, a handful of goldfish, and a little pump to add interest and hopefully oxygen.

However, I live in the woods and we have night visitors that are really getting to be pests. They dig in the potted plants, paddle around in the water and knock over those plants as you can imagine.

No doubt they are attracted to the sound of the water. My question for the experienced in this: what about putting the pump on a time timer so it will be on only during the day? It may be too late, I think they've probably told all their friends... Thank you for your help!

Reg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, please goto the User CP at the top of the page and add your location. It helps us when helping you.

As for raccoons, I use a 36" wide fencing material from Home Depot, tie wrapped to a PVC frame. Easy to set onto and remove from the pond. They can walk on it but not get at the fish.

In the meantime my IR alarms wake me and the fun begins.

Ask a Question