raised pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I could use a new Nursery Pond, when you get done with that one, I'll put you up in So Cal to do mine. LOL

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im going to be running a drum filter to the pond, but i dont really just want a hoze running into it wanted something a bit different and pretty looking ...has anyone got any ideas what i could do ?

Reaction score
I just stack thin pieces of slate stone on mine. Can't see 'em and allows me to just lift them if I need to get at the hose. In some areas, I just have the hose lightly covered with mulch.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i suppose i should have put the main reason for this raised pond is so my son who has cerebral palsey and is wheelchair bound, could spend some time in the garden i wanted it to be a kind of senseory pond ;;light sound touch so it needs to attract his attension... only i dont really know how to go about it ...if he can sit by the pond for a while, would be good for him to be outside more and good for me mum !1... i could do pond work while he is close by..

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're saying! I thought you meant the hoses on the ground, but you're talking about the hose with the water that returns back into the pond.

Well, jeez, there are tons of great ideas out there that are relatively inexpensive. I've picked out some UK sites for you, so that will make it easier.

Idea 1 is a spitter. You simply hook the hose to it and the water pops out the front of a myriad of designed little statuary. Could be a turtle, a frog, even a fish, etc. Here's a site for you to get some ideas.

Another idea I've seen is a bamboo japanese deer scarer, which is befitting of a koi pond. Here's a site for those. These are very easy to make if you can find the bamboo locally. You can find plans on the internet.

Really, can use anything with a hole or opening to return water back into a pond. You can buy them or make them.

Reaction score
My "kiddie pool" pond had an antique style hand pump. I fit a butter tub inside it (sealed edges with silicone) with a hose barb fit into the bottom. That way, the tub would fill up and the water would spill out the spout of the pump just as if the water was being pumped out.

Attachments

• pondpumpresize.JPG
    pondpumpresize.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 367

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
now i have my drum and busy turning it into a filter but i wanted to get a laguna pump but the pond is just about 650 ish gallons i dont know what size pump to get ... any help would be appreciated ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
are you gonna have a waterfall? i would go 1000 gph that would allow the water over 3 minutes in filtration in 55 gal drum, and still give a decent falls.or go a little stronger pump and split the flow between the filter and straight to the falls.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im not sure what its going to come out into yet koiguy still trying to make some kind of water feature for the water to come out of and fall back into the pond i have ideas its just trying to find what i want to use ...still i wont be setting pond up till spring so i have plenty of time, but trying to buy everything i need now as places have sales on now :biggrin:
but i reckon the 1000 will be enough thankyou :biggrin:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I like the Beckett W1150 and I think it is the perfect size for your pond. Even if you double the size, it will still work well for you. This is what I had at 750 gallons and now at 1500 gallons it takes care of both.

Ask a Question