Raising Monarchs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, it's VERY hard to relocate the babies once you spot them. They move farther than you think they will. I had a medium sized one die today, no idea why, first one to die for me this year. I think I had 2 or so die last year. I should be having some eclosing (emerging from chrysalis) maybe this weekend!
Yes, if you have an area nearby that is not mowed near electric poles, take some milkweed seeds out there this fall, put them down on the ground and pray they grow next year. Last year, I took a whole common milkweed seed pod that was ripe and ready to burst, and put all the seeds under the mulch in my front flower bed. This year, there were probably 50 plants that came up in that one spot. I realize that was ideal conditions (no weeds or grass to compete with) but still! I'll be doing that again, but this time where I want them to grow, in my wild flower area. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have tropical milkweed that I am growing for the first time this year, and it's definitely going to be a favorite for me in coming years. Someone in northern IL said that this will come back yearly, so I'm leaving the plants to see, but am collecting seeds as well. I grew these from seed this spring, and plopped out 3 chunks of seedlings in this patch. The monarchs LOVE the flowers, and I have found lots of cats on the leaves.
tropical milkweed patch.JPG

I see monarchs on the flowers every morning and evening on work days, all day long on the weekends. Enjoy!
monarch 3.JPG
monarch 7 better.JPG
monarch 8.JPG

This next picture is a male monarch. See the two black dots on his lower wings? That indicates a male. Lots of seed pods on these plants.
monarch male .JPG
monarch on tropical MW.JPG

Two monarchs in this photo.
monarchs 2 4.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have tropical milkweed that re-seeds annually here too, but the plants never get big. Lots of small seedlings, some flowers, but never more than 12-15 inches high.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like Monarch migration has begun. I've been seeing a lot more activity the past few days, and there are currently seven in the yard right now. They really like the Smooth Oxeyes.
IMG_2364 copy.jpg

They also like the Mexican Sunflowers.
IMG_2343 copy.jpg

On Thursday, I saw five or six of them on a small patch of New England Aster while walking a trail. I'm growing that as well, but it's in its first year and probably won't bloom this year. Hoping to add more of that next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Lisa, what color are the flowers of your tropical milkweed? A friend has yellow flowered ones, but mine are red/yellow together. Maybe they are different variety. I am saving seeds, and will have LOTS! I'd be happy to send you some, if you would like to try these. Maybe a different type!
JB, yes, lots of people on my FB butterfly page are reporting the same thing, lots of butterflies in their yards, too. I've been seeing them for 2 months here, and probably seeing more at a time now. I have about 14 in different stages in my house, raising them. Lost a few as medium sized cats, not sure what happened, found one on the bottom and one attached to the side, but hanging dead. Otherwise the rest seem to be doing fine. 7 or 8 in chrysalis, should be eclosing soon, then the fun really begins!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine are the yellow/red combination, too - so pretty! And this year we grew the Mexican sunflowers for the first time - big hit with the butterflies!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None in my yard...............and I have plants for critters everywhere

Would love some seeds @CountryEscape if you have some to spare

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What do you do when the weather starting to be cold and you still have cats to care for? Do you release the monarch still? or do you leave the chrysalis outside so it'll be in there until next spring?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisa, what color are the flowers of your tropical milkweed? A friend has yellow flowered ones, but mine are red/yellow together. Maybe they are different variety.

To my knowledge, Tropical Milkweed is only red & yellow.
Many people confuse A. tuberosa for it, and there is a yellow cultivar of A. tuberosa called "Hello Yellow". Although I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cultivar of A. curassavica that is yellow, too.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do you do when the weather starting to be cold and you still have cats to care for? Do you release the monarch still? or do you leave the chrysalis outside so it'll be in there until next spring?

The chrysalis would not be there until next Spring because it's only in the chrysalis for about ten days before it emerges as a butterfly. The colder weather is not really an issue because, as the weather cools and the Monarchs begin migration, eggs will no longer be laid. By the time we get to deadly cold weather, the majority of Monarchs will be down south.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some of the eggs didnt hatch and some of the babies got eaten. One of the little tiny baby got eaten by my cat (i was changing the milkweed and my son needed something so I left the milkweed unattended.. then the cat came and ate some part of the milkweed the newly hatch one was on :cry: ) My cat won't leave the milkweed alone!

my big ones are eating like crazy and I think they will pupate soon!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Arg... One of my cat made the J since last night but nothing happen to it yet. Just hanging there. The antennas look pretty bad. Do you think there's a problem? It's doing a J for a full day now.

Ask a Question