Random care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, i have a small pond and i know that time is coming where i could put some fish in it! No fish so far, so just want to look after the water. Is there some kind of tablet i can get for the whole thing? And what else do i need to take into account?

Any general advice would be massively appreciated!

Joey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big is the pond, how many gallons? How long has the pond been set up?

Does it have any filtration? If so, what kind?

A tablet for what purpose?

Does your water have chlorine in it?

Do you have any testing kits? If not, please get liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. Those tests will let you know if the water is safe for fish.

And please read about the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling. The pond needs to have that cycle established before you can safely add fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All good questions from @WaterGardener and also a very important point - a pond ecosystem is not complete without fish, and all the waiting in the world won't make it safer. Some people choose to use fish to start the cycle, but that can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. As @WaterGardener said there is a way to get the cycle started without taking a chance with your fish.

Ask a Question