Rebuilding a pond, tips on bog filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
1705583419252.png

So I did the plumbing today.
This circled part is what a relative did for me, now I think this is certainly gonna fail. I glued all the parts together, ball valve elbow etc, and then I did the spaflex hose as well which surprisingly was the easiest part, it fit like a glove and even without glue it seemed hard to pull out.

One will ask why even bother if I think that the teflon threaded part is gonna fail, well I keep being told it's not, but the thing isn't even straight so I am guessing it will. I don't know any better of course, I have no experience with any of this so really trying is the only way I can find out and anyway i've not much to lose here, i have all the time in the world, i can only come out better either way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your correct your joint should be straight . if its angled similar to what i think i see here its cross threaded it could hold for a long time IF \YOU LEAVE IT alone . try to loosen it even once may have it fail .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
your correct your joint should be straight . if its angled similar to what i think i see here its cross threaded it could hold for a long time IF \YOU LEAVE IT alone . try to loosen it even once may have it fail .
I did get a chance to test it yesterday after about 3hrs, ball valve works, flex hose works no leaks, but the bulkhead leaks, or this teflon part fails, not sure what it was as it was dark.

Not sure whether it is the angle that causes it to fail, at least the other parts work pretty much seamlessly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
1706367964986.png

Removed the bulkhead, well I wasn't really wrong I guess. It leaks both at that joint and the bulkhead. The bulkhead was extremely tightened down, I don't remember tightening it that much but I guess I did. Anyways I am rethinking the whole situation now, hoping to resolve it within 1-2 weeks, pretty close.

1706368139784.png

These glued parts, and the flex hose have done pretty well though so that's great. The ball valve doesn't leak at all either, only this annoying bulkhead part. I am planning what to do, parts to order but any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are not really proper stairs, just stepping stones I guess you'd call them, they seem very stable, rocks that are sort of flat so walking on them is safe.

Not much left to do now, just putting the last two big rocks in one corner and turning on the water, then trimming the liner and cleaning up. Thank God the shelves are wide, if they were not these rocks would be tumbling down so easily, should have made them wider.

Looks really good, will post some pics later before and after.
They are not really proper stairs, just stepping stones I guess you'd call them, they seem very stable, rocks that are sort of flat so walking on them is safe.

Not much left to do now, just putting the last two big rocks in one corner and turning on the water, then trimming the liner and cleaning up. Thank God the shelves are wide, if they were not these rocks would be tumbling down so easily, should have made them wider.

Looks really good, will post some pics later before and after.
I can’t seem to find your pics. Really looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
View attachment 161890

Removed the bulkhead, well I wasn't really wrong I guess. It leaks both at that joint and the bulkhead. The bulkhead was extremely tightened down, I don't remember tightening it that much but I guess I did. Anyways I am rethinking the whole situation now, hoping to resolve it within 1-2 weeks, pretty close.

View attachment 161891

These glued parts, and the flex hose have done pretty well though so that's great. The ball valve doesn't leak at all either, only this annoying bulkhead part. I am planning what to do, parts to order but any advice is appreciated.
Over tightening bulkhead is a lesson we all learn. You may need a new gasket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Over tightening bulkhead is a lesson we all learn. You may need a new gasket.
I think it's probably that. Gonna order new bulkheads, been relying on others for this to be done and it seems it's not working out as no one really truly cares for this as I do. Such a simple project though, it's nothing more than a big barrel with a bulkhead for water to flow through, and yet here I am 2 months later. If I did this with liner, my god it'd have been perhaps even a bigger mess. Although last 2 months have been winter so it's not like you could do a lot but I'm essentially at the same position I was a month and a half ago.

Liner's starting to be covered by algae which I welcome to hide the creases in liner. Bare bottom is actually looking not bad, even better if I actually paid any attention to remove creases during filling up water. This build is about 3 feet, rocked the margins but not the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it's probably that. Gonna order new bulkheads, been relying on others for this to be done and it seems it's not working out as no one really truly cares for this as I do. Such a simple project though, it's nothing more than a big barrel with a bulkhead for water to flow through, and yet here I am 2 months later. If I did this with liner, my god it'd have been perhaps even a bigger mess. Although last 2 months have been winter so it's not like you could do a lot but I'm essentially at the same position I was a month and a half ago.

Liner's starting to be covered by algae which I welcome to hide the creases in liner. Bare bottom is actually looking not bad, even better if I actually paid any attention to remove creases during filling up water. This build is about 3 feet, rocked the margins but not the bottom.
looking at your photo the pvc should hold its self up so it looks directly at the connection to be made if you have to lift it your adding un needed pressures on the fitting and more particular the bulked fitting. And if you glued that pipe coming from the union ball valve how did you pull it out of the bulked?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
looking at your photo the pvc should hold its self up so it looks directly at the connection to be made if you have to lift it your adding un needed pressures on the fitting and more particular the bulked fitting. And if you glued that pipe coming from the union ball valve how did you pull it out of the bulked?
The flex hose, ball valve are all fine, the bulkhead is the part leaking. That picture was after I took the bulkhead out, after that it was redone just a week ago, and ended up a failure as it was leaking.

If overtightening can cause the bulkhead to leak then the gasket or something is long gone because a wrench was used this time and a time before that. As I understand it should be hand tightened.

It is a bit of shame I have to wait again but hopefully this time will be the last time I deal with it at least for some good time.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have used tools to tighten a large bulkhead, need to get a some compression on the internal gasket to seal. Start lightly and tighten a bit further if it is leaking.

Another option for future consideration, especially if you just need to run smooth pipe through or on a rounded area, are Uniseals. Work good for low pressure applications, smaller hole in the tank for same size pipe compared to a standard bulkhead. Not as good if your pipes are unsupported or torqued.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have used tools to tighten a large bulkhead, need to get a some compression on the internal gasket to seal. Start lightly and tighten a bit further if it is leaking.

Another option for future consideration, especially if you just need to run smooth pipe through or on a rounded area, are Uniseals. Work good for low pressure applications, smaller hole in the tank for same size pipe compared to a standard bulkhead. Not as good if your pipes are unsupported or torqued.

Uniseals seem really attractive and simple. Don't have Uniseals where I'm at, but I am ordering from Amazon so I can order a Uniseal, still thinking about it though don't want to make a mistake again, the funny thing is I'd have been better off if I never put the bulkhead on at all, cause right now this is very convoluted and confusing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hole on the barrel's 60mm, the pipe itself is 38mm, quite ways to go but I think I can manage with some fittings. Says 2" Uniseal requires 76mm hole, so I can just make it bigger and it should be ok?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I ordered 1.5 inch Uniseals, these seem to fit pipes of 38mm and the hole should be 63mm, current hole is 60mm so should be alright to make it 63mm, it's a curved surface so I assume it'll work well. I think this will be my salvation, I hope anyway. Meanwhile I'm gonna gather some more bigger rocks.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Be careful enlarging the hole, should be even all around as the uniseal relies on its expansion from the pipe to seal around the hole in the tank. If you are using a hole saw, you could enlarge the hole using a piece of stock with the correct size hole clamped to the tank as a guide.

Ask a Question