Rebuilding a pond, tips on bog filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I currently only have an Acorus in there I put in I think it was November, growing well and I imagine this spring/summer it's gonna go crazy with growth, it's been moderately growing.

I do like tall water grasses a lot, very pretty, I don't think I know yet if they can grow in shade well, but I should see this year since I have many.
acorus is better known as sweet flag to most here but beware i have recently no less saw someone who was curing it in their bog

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
acorus is better known as sweet flag to most here but beware i have recently no less saw someone who was curing it in their bog
Yep I had Sweet Flag in a big huge pot in my pond. It busted the pot and I had a horrid time trying to lift the thing outta there, it was darn heavy! I guess if you keep an eye on it's growth and take it out and divide it when not so big things would be ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have mine placed in a spot of the bog that i can use a long sawsall blade to cut it and i won't cut anything like liner or pipe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Where I have it, it is a Dwarf sweet flag in between big rocks, doing quite well for itself, the shelf is deep around 20 inches, but it's a dwarf one. I do have a regular one but it's foliage died quite rapidly back in autumn so it's not woken up yet.

In the bog I currently have bogbean, carex riparia, yellow flag, juncus. I recently added bog bean and yellow flag, I also have one I put as a marginal in pond. Very interested in tropicals when it heats up a bit, as those are something else. But perhaps I already have enough bog plants as I hear when it gets going with spring, the bog can go crazy especially with all the nutrients.

I am interested in trying non conventional plants, like Hostas, and I also hear Astilbe. One thing I do regret is not having a bog area built into the pond that acts like a natural bog where soil/gravel is always wet but there's no standing water.

I also added a fern around 2 weeks ago to the pond, two lemon button ferns and one regular fern. So far so good, I didn't submerge the rhizomes but ferns can take some time to respond though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love love love my ferns i have no idea what type they are i found them growing in the wild. The shoots can be found in the water completely submerged and it the shoot doesn't come out of the water it will keep sending out runners until it does

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Received the Uniseals a few hours ago, hole on the barrel is but a millimeter short so I'm gonna make it bigger and it should fit. The pipe though from the barrel fits perfectly by pure luck. Should work very well, don't know how I could screw this up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have mine placed in a spot of the bog that i can use a long sawsall blade to cut it and i won't cut anything like liner or pipe
That is how I control the rellow flag. Works great and easy, sort of lol. The sweet flag is in a controlled pot in the deck pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Well, it's leaking. Nothing unexpected I am afraid. To have it not leak, is something I have to doublecheck. Don't know why. Maybe debris, I'll check again. Probably ought to accept the reality that I have now a barrel of rocks and water, I guess you can call that a bog but it's hardly a filter.

Running out of mental health bars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hole became too big. Uniseals become useless as water goes underneath. Should have used a holesaw instead of screwing around, well now I blew it, no going back now. Now it truly is a barrel of rocks and water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Debris, burs dont appear to be the issue. The issue appears to be the pipe, which OD (38mm) is too small, for UB150 it is 48mm, I have confused the ID with the OD. I noticed when using a 50mm pipe the Uniseal flares up, and is not easy to put in, which makes sense. Where I'm going to find a 48mm pipe I do not know, but this would appear the ultimate issue.

More waiting, and more fittings I guess. Now from 48 to 38, but it was inevitable. I could not get any lower dimensions because the hole was 60mm, now it is roughly 63mm to fit the 1.5 inch Uniseal. Well I got my hopes up today, frustrated like a fool, I did test with a bigger 50mm pipe and it flares up I'm guessing that creates the seal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Debris, burs dont appear to be the issue. The issue appears to be the pipe, which OD (38mm) is too small, for UB150 it is 48mm, I have confused the ID with the OD. I noticed when using a 50mm pipe the Uniseal flares up, and is not easy to put in, which makes sense. Where I'm going to find a 48mm pipe I do not know, but this would appear the ultimate issue.

More waiting, and more fittings I guess. Now from 48 to 38, but it was inevitable. I could not get any lower dimensions because the hole was 60mm, now it is roughly 63mm to fit the 1.5 inch Uniseal. Well I got my hopes up today, frustrated like a fool, I did test with a bigger 50mm pipe and it flares up I'm guessing that creates the seal.
Hate to say it but a liner is soooooooooo infinitely easier to work with. Screw it up put on a patch move on to a new location for the penitration or same spot. Bulked fittings are easy to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hate to say it but a liner is soooooooooo infinitely easier to work with. Screw it up put on a patch move on to a new location for the penitration or same spot. Bulked fittings are easy to use.
I don't think I've screwed it up yet, I have some wiggle room yet. I think anyway as long as I put the 50mm through, Uniseal will expand and it should seal, but that's just a guess, but when I put 38mm in the Uniseal did not do anything, it made no seal at all, of course it makes sense, OD is 48mm of 1.5 inch Uniseal, they do say 2mm difference is okay but i'll put it to test.

I prefer liner too and it would have been easier to conceal too, but I don't agree it'd be easier to put the fittings in etc, dealing with liner would have been no easier, in fact it'd been a bigger mess probably. I'm sure for other people it would be easier, but here having no access to the kind of bulkheads people use for ponds and all the kind of sealants, it would be way harder.

Tomorrow I'll be putting the 50mm pipe, which I already tested it does I just could not get it in when I put uniseal on the barrel, some have had trouble with that I'll just put lubricant on. Well that might work and if it does hallelujah, but until it works I'm not hoping for too much.

If it doesn't work, on the bright side I have a bog. But no filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
all you had to do was ask it doesn't get much easier than these . yes he is installing on a ridged board but it can be used on a liner . they used the board for diplay only
https://webbsonline.com/Item/Oase-Tradux-Bulk-Head-Fitting-MPN-42750

well, fair enough. but it is what it is now. if i cant get water in a barrel without leaking i think liner would be much harder. both should be simple tasks, with the right product like the one above. yet for me it isnt so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
No luck, 50mm wont fit a 1.5 inch Uniseal. 2mm difference from specified OD but when you put it on the barrel it's just not possible.

Ask a Question