Recommend – Floating Skimmers and Vacuums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have cages on both of my skimmer pumps. It helps keep out any larger stuff, and I swipe them off when I have to clean the mesh filter. Just have to make sure the pump you get will fit inside the skimmer you buy. :)
Those EasyPond skimmers are neat -- hadn't seen them before! The only in-pond ones I could find had an outlet that you have to attach a hose to the inlet of your pump (so, the pump sits OUTSIDE the skimmer but draws water through it on its way to the pump). I'm going to add these skimmers to list!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have very few trees that send any trash into my ponds, but I still would not do without a skimmer. When I mow, and I'm very particular and careful with the grass clippings, some still get into the goldfish pond. By the end of the day, they are all cleaned up, in the basket, dump them out and poof, done! Also, where I live, lots of dust and dirt and so forth, gets skimmed off and removed, instead of floating and eventually sinking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Has anyone tried one of these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Yeah I wondered if it was emptied daily if it would work, I have no trees around the pond I'm building.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah I wondered if it was emptied daily if it would work, I have no trees around the pond I'm building.

What will be the surface square footage of your pond?

Remember a skimmer removes more than leaves. There is pollen, wind-blown dust, grass clippings. dead insects (those that the fish don't eat), etc..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
What will be the surface square footage of your pond?

Remember a skimmer removes more than leaves. There is pollen, wind-blown dust, grass clippings. dead insects (those that the fish don't eat), etc..

The pond will be approximately 8x12, more kidney shaped so that's not exact, that's a little big in measurement but close.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The pond will be approximately 8x12, more kidney shaped so that's not exact, that's a little big in measurement but close.

IMO the unit you pictured will be too small for your pond to be effective.
At 2 feet deep your pond's capacity will be over 1200 gallons. You will need at least a 1800 gph pump (preferably 2400 gph) to properly circulate the pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
IMO the unit you pictured will be too small for your pond to be effective.
At 2 feet deep your pond's capacity will be over 1200 gallons. You will need at least a 1800 gph pump (preferably 2400 gph) to properly circulate the pond water.

I was planning on having a 1600 gph pump with uv light running that skimmer and a separate 2000 gph pump running my waterfall, thoughts? Sorry for thread hijack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The PondoVac 4 (not sure if that's the official name) is my next purchase item, and I can't wait!

Have read many reviews of different brands. Some like vacs, in general, and some don't. What I look for is the "why" folks do/don't like them, and in some cases it's a matter of unrealistic expectations.

I am also inclined to get the Oase 4, but am hesitant because of the negative comments - $350+ is a lot to lay out for a doubtful purchase. Can you be more specific about the 'unrealistic expectations' you think produce the negative reviews ? I would only use the vac for the slimy dead algae that coat the stones on the bottom of my pond. I take out the leaves and large stuff with a net or by hand. But if it's going to overheat every few minutes I don't want to go there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I am going to try and make this one, and run it off of the same pump I use for my barrels....if I ever get it done I will post pics (emphasis on "if") ;)

Ask a Question