Recommendations for UV filters?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The water is not clear and husband would like it to be. Not crystal clear, but better than it is now. The filter's purpose is just to clarify water, yes?

We had a UV filter, but I don't know if it bit the dust or we put it somewhere mysterious. Last spring and summer the water was clear and we did not need it. The pond is about 1500 gallons.

Also, another question. What do I treat city water with when I add it to the pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The water is not clear and husband would like it to be. Not crystal clear, but better than it is now. The filter's purpose is just to clarify water, yes?

We had a UV filter, but I don't know if it bit the dust or we put it somewhere mysterious. Last spring and summer the water was clear and we did not need it. The pond is about 1500 gallons.

Also, another question. What do I treat city water with when I add it to the pond?

A UV will only remove planktonic algae. If your water is not green, a UV will not help.

Any Dechlorinator available at pet stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. First find out if your municipal water is treated with Chlorine or Chloramine. Buy the appropriate product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
It sure smells like chlorine! I am pretty sure the water is treated with it, but I'll get the water tested. Thanks for your help.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have a whole house water filter/softener system. The drinking water gets final additional steps of reverse osmosis and UV light. This last service they told me the UV lights had gone up considerably and had a 30 day lead time. They replaced with an infra red unit that's supposedly just as good and cheaper. We'll see.

Ask a Question