j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know what the exact name is for this little red headed type of wood pecker but I have wanted to get a photo of him/her forever and today while out walking w/my hubby in the sunshine this morning he finally was able to get some shots of it on his phone. The bird is quite small sized. Anyone know the exact name?

Red Pecker bird 1.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Red Bellied Sapsucker?

Whatever it is, it's a beautiful bird.
Thanks WG! Yep it's a Sapsucker and I looked it up and found this one that matches it to a T!

2. Red-breasted Sapsucker​

Red-breasted Sapsucker

Red-breasted Sapsuckers are medium-sized woodpeckers with dark red heads and breasts. They have a white line down the wing when folded and a white spot in front of their eye. Males and females look the same, but juveniles are darker and without the bright red head. Red-breasted Sapsuckers are redder on the head in northern areas than those in California.

• Sphyrapicus ruber
  • Length: 7.9-8.7 in (20-22 cm)
  • Weight: 1.9-2.2 oz (53.1-63.5 g)
  • Wingspan: 14.6-16.0 in (37-40.6 cm)
Red-breasted Sapsuckers can be found along the Pacific Coast from British Columbia down to Mexico.

Red-breasted Sapsuckers migrate towards the coast from inland breeding areas in British Columbia and California, but they remain all year along the whole Pacific Coast from British Columbia to Baja California.

They feed on sap from trees but also insects and fruit.

Where to find Red-breasted Sapsuckers:

Red-breasted Sapsuckers can be found in conifer forests, so look out for rows of shallow holes in the bark of trees.

How to attract Red-breasted Sapsuckers to your yard:

Sapsuckers do not as often come to backyards unless you have lots of conifer trees, but they may be tempted with cut fruit.

Ask a Question