Red Marks on Fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small pond - 3000 litres - which is about 8 weeks old. It was filled with rainwater, elodea crispa &, plants about 6 weeks ago and has a pump/uv/biological filter with waterfall. The pH is 7.4. It is covered with a net when we are not around and the border around the pond makes life for dipping cats difficult. We have stocked the pond with 8 fish 4 weeks ago but two have died. The fish all came from a reputable source - locally - and were 4 inch Rudd and Golden Orfe. One of each has died. In each case the fish 'chose' solitude. I didn't see any sign of fin rot or other problem. In each case, after a few days of this behaviour, I removed the fish and noticed small red blotches. I put the fish for a short time in a saline 'recuperation' container for 15 minutes and then changed the water to which was added Cloverleaf Acriflavine Answer. In both cases the fish died.
Can anyone give me a clue what this is and how to prevent it happening again or even curing the afflicted fish? I have attached photos of the last fish to die.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Richard

Attachments

• Rudd_1.jpg
    Rudd_1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Rudd_2.jpg
    Rudd_2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Redness like this, usually indicates an internal bacterial infection. The infection is usually secondary to something else, like parasites or illness, often brought on by water quality issues. Your pond is "young" at eight weeks, do you know what your water parameters are? Could you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, phosphorus?

I'm sorry you lost two fish, Richard.....sometimes ponding can be frustrating, especially when you're getting started. I'm sure others will chime in, this is a good place for information.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just received an NT Labs test kit and these are the results:

pH 7.4 (nearer yellow than green on the NT Labs Scale)

Ammonia : zero

Nitrite: zero

Nitrate: zero

General Hardness : 108ppm Calcium Carbonate – slightly low according to NT Labs.

I have no idea on phgosphorus levels.
Although I know nothing, I think you suggestion of a bacterial infection is probably sound - are these infectious?

Thanks for your help
Richard

Ask a Question