Redesign of bog/wetland filter

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the compliments on the bog and log, nice to have 20 something and late-mid teenage boys for rock moving, so I don’t have to do it all myself. Although somehow that log was left for me to move, it’s not that heavy just big and awkward.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the compliments on the bog and log, nice to have 20 something and late-mid teenage boys for rock moving, so I don’t have to do it all myself. Although somehow that log was left for me to move, it’s not that heavy just big and awkward.
Its amazing how they can disappear even with stay at home orders across the country when they are needed. i got my sons help ALL day sunday i was flabbergasted. riped out the liner from the upper pond but that had its own challenges as the water fall rock probably weighs 800 pounds and i wanted the line to get under it so if anything started to leak it fell into the pond. it was a challenge getting under it without equipment. it's not done by any means bu out with the old in with the new. and the pump and rain are doing there thing pond is flowing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you see any benefit to your new bog as yet ?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can you see any benefit to your new bog as yet ?
It didn’t take long just a day or two and the water was crystal clear. Usually once the fish are active I cant quite see the bottom in the deeper part of the pond which is around 4.5’ deep. Mainly because the larger fish kick the thin layer of silt up into the water column, never really cared before as this provided cover for the fish if a heron or other predator came. With a net over the pond to keep predatory birds out, now it’s nice that I can see the bottom of the deep end to the point where I can count 3/8” pea gravel on the bottom if I was so inclined.

just got a bunch of plants the other day as well to add to the bog, so will be interesting to see how the grow in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It didn’t take long just a day or two and the water was crystal clear. Usually once the fish are active I cant quite see the bottom in the deeper part of the pond which is around 4.5’ deep. Mainly because the larger fish kick the thin layer of silt up into the water column, never really cared before as this provided cover for the fish if a heron or other predator came. With a net over the pond to keep predatory birds out, now it’s nice that I can see the bottom of the deep end to the point where I can count 3/8” pea gravel on the bottom if I was so inclined.

just got a bunch of plants the other day as well to add to the bog, so will be interesting to see how the grow in.
Good deal, Sounds like the efforts will be worth it. Got to share those pics.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some shots of the pond now that all the mulm/silt that gets kicked up is sucked into the settling chamber under the bog...

First shot is gratuitous fern/plant growing out of driftwood in the pond.

DCFC5777-3497-4080-B258-DCC995C37BE6.jpeg
Second pic is the deepest part of the pond about 4.5’ with a stump with a giant root system I put in the corner for cover.
638DFF3C-4651-4F52-A0C8-192FF0D06D59.jpeg
6971C92B-7227-414A-9B33-312D45E17D2E.jpeg
1F745710-5CD8-4324-9874-D26E79993DEA.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some shots of the pond now that all the mulm/silt that gets kicked up is sucked into the settling chamber under the bog...
LOOKS GREAT I love the stump roots i just installed a little stump in the upper pond . i stoped at the local koi dealer and what they wanted 150 bucks for last summer i got for 40

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOW!!!!!! and o think i was buying pickrel rush damn man you have the market cornered and that iris is massive.

Things still going well with the bog . It sure looks it from the pics..

what kinda turtles are those.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, bog is doing well. water stays clear all the time,(it did pretty much before but couldn’t quite see the deep end down at 4.5’ like I can now)plants are starting to recover quickly from being ripped out of the old bog and transplanted in the new one. The plants in the pond really started to take off the last few days as daytime temps hit 80’s-90’s For the first time this spring. Have some elephant ears coming that I am going to plant in the bog, now that it is finally warm enough here.

This is the cut back version of the pickerel rush stand, it got weeded back last year it had grown from pond edge to pond edge about 16’ or so.

The turtles are Northern Diamondback terrapins. The big one is about 7 years old the other two are going on either 3 or 4 years.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@mrsclem Purple fantasy got it from pondplantsonline....The pic of it is a deep purple, so we will see. Also have light purple/blue shade one that does ok but not quite as deep color to the flower.

Ask a Question