Redesign of bog/wetland filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking after talking about the rubber wicking as that one did surprise me . Yes I had plants fold over in the fall and it did WHICK that I wasn't surprised at and the non woven that was like a straw just sucking water right up and over the edge

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Got a bit more done on the bog build but probably any further production will come to a grinding halt. Heard that Maryland going to be shutdown either Sunday or Monday. Need to order more aqua blocks and some underlay to finish putting some on top of liner, then get my rock supplier to bring me some rock.

Apparently it’s staycation time, for a couple weeks.

CB545F0D-8845-4168-A1C0-BB1B995A31C7.jpegECB7F60B-08D3-47D3-8734-5AD7432C3739.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been surprised how much is moving. Central Pet has been deemed necessary and remains open. I haven't checked a rock yard this weekend, so they could be closed, but ups and fedex continue to run, so your main problem is probably going to be stone.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have been surprised how much is moving. Central Pet has been deemed necessary and remains open. I haven't checked a rock yard this weekend, so they could be closed, but ups and fedex continue to run, so your main problem is probably going to be stone.

As long as the actual quarries are open I can get rock, but Pennsylvania closed their quarries. At the moment in Delaware/Maryland the quarries are still opening the Hauler I use is still hauling rock, but could change at anytime.

It may be a bit before I get the rock I need to do the bog, as I need to keep bringing In rock to get work done and keep money coming in while I can. Of course the rock I normally use is large granite not river cobble/rock, so I don’t have room in my yard to leave it stock piled. I need the space to keep about 6-8 tandem loads of 1600-3000lb. granite stock piled.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought my yard was inundated with rock

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Found a log on a job site, just need to figure out where I am going to put it around the bog and pond, cut it in half so I can handle moving it. Might steal GBBUDD’s idea of having water run through the hollow part of it.

D7FF1692-0959-46D1-B561-CD0F52464275.jpegAC2C2230-3DF0-410F-8545-E2AAAF8FBF7C.jpeg
outside of this haven’t done a whole lot with bog, stuck in the aqua blocks, snorkel/centipede and hooked up hose. Now have to get the rock, which I am working on, but going to be slow with things shutting down everywhere. Quarries still open and pretty much all construction is deemed essential, in Md at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I still have the two ponds in IL. Never fails that the koi pond is murky and the goldfish pond is crystal clear. Those koi just stir the bottom more than the goldies.
With regard to the bog issues, mine are
FDA02870-E7EF-4B95-926E-B4731D7F5053.jpeg
ECAC0616-B70B-4395-B25A-56EA708551BB.jpeg
F3829A3B-C6F6-4E94-8638-79D80D28191F.jpeg
9EEA512B-E352-4BE1-B3D7-8B1A15452D89.jpeg
FDA02870-E7EF-4B95-926E-B4731D7F5053.jpeg
ECAC0616-B70B-4395-B25A-56EA708551BB.jpeg
F3829A3B-C6F6-4E94-8638-79D80D28191F.jpeg
9EEA512B-E352-4BE1-B3D7-8B1A15452D89.jpeg
8 and 9 years old. The root systems are pushing the pea gravel and plants to a level higher than the edge of the bogs. I’ve learned to cut back all plants within 6-8” of the outside edge so the water can flow and not OVERflow. Works well. But yes irises seem to really take over if not cut back yearly.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
shots of the bog with first layer of rock in place...
7C9E14DD-0E9A-4680-B611-44993961644F.jpeg
64E3B06B-999C-4C1F-BDB5-B82A5FBD3923.jpeg

@GBBUDD here are shots of the easy pro blocks, with the tabs sticking out that inter lock into the top, bottom and sides. I forgot too mention some of the tabs were on angles, some of which I could force into the holes and bend it straight so it would go together. Others got smacked with a hammer and removed, only had a few I hide to do that with.
05D4B4C9-4765-421B-8936-FB4CC494F4C3.jpeg
4BD7A113-EAE9-4330-ABB7-B9F0765B59E1.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shots of the bog with first layer of rock in place...
View attachment 127260
View attachment 127257

@GBBUDD here are shots of the easy pro blocks, with the tabs sticking out that inter lock into the top, bottom and sides. I forgot too mention some of the tabs were on angles, some of which I could force into the holes and bend it straight so it would go together. Others got smacked with a hammer and removed, only had a few I hide to do that with.
View attachment 127258
View attachment 127259
Glad they worked out for you. It's coming together. what are you using 2-3 then 3/4. Are you going all the way down to 3/8". I did a mix 3/4 and 3/8 I was concerned it would clog too fast.
Would you fight the blocks if you had to make the stack 2 high and 8 rows for rain water harvesting? they look pretty close and at half the cost hell I do a little work to to get it togertoffer. I think that's part of the problem I'm having now I said I want this bog running and the pond going and I just may have rushed it a bit saying the usual I can fix it if it fails. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What are the aquablocks or easy pro blocks used for? What is their purpose?

Instead of filling the entire bog with gravel you can put the aqua blocks in on the bottom portion. The blocks have a larger water storage capacity than rock, and these used in conjunction with a snorkel and centipede allow sediment to settle out into the snorkel chamber. Then this area Can be accessed from above with a pump to remove any build up of gunk.

Benefits don’t have to get as much rock/gravel, more water volume, easy of cleaning if need be with the snorkel/settling chamber access area.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Glad they worked out for you. It's coming together. what are you using 2-3 then 3/4. Are you going all the way down to 3/8". I did a mix 3/4 and 3/8 I was concerned it would clog too fast.
Would you fight the blocks if you had to make the stack 2 high and 8 rows for rain water harvesting? they look pretty close and at half the cost hell I do a little work to to get it togertoffer. I think that's part of the problem I'm having now I said I want this bog running and the pond going and I just may have rushed it a bit saying the usual I can fix it if it fails. I'm sure you know the feeling.
Yes, think I am going to throw in just a bit more of 2-3”, then will be about 16” deep of 3/4” and throw some 3/8” mixed in as well.

I would go with the easy pro as well, even going two high. Once they were together and in the bog area I was walking all over them they held up fine, maybe A little popping here and there as I didn’t get them locked together as tight as I thought. I even cut three of them up to make smaller blocks to fill in around in some smaller oddball holes, those were okay as well.

I hear ya, on the I can fix it if need be later stuff. Always coming up with better ideas like with this larger version of the bog, after having the pond going on 10 years now. My wife rolls her eyes at me most the time when I say I need to do this and that to fix something on whatever, I just made. She just of the mindset why are you just jumping in and why didn’t you just do it right the first time, just tell her I am not smart enough for that, but I can fix a lot of problems that arise from my method. Of course, I only do this with my own stuff, never really happens with my customers or others stuff.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She just of the mindset why are you just jumping in and why didn’t you just do it right the first time
lol i have more than once just jumped in and had to do minor fixes to "correct" my impulsiveness. But usually it goes ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, think I am going to throw in just a bit more of 2-3”, then will be about 16” deep of 3/4” and throw some 3/8” mixed in as well.

I would go with the easy pro as well, even going two high. Once they were together and in the bog area I was walking all over them they held up fine, maybe A little popping here and there as I didn’t get them locked together as tight as I thought. I even cut three of them up to make smaller blocks to fill in around in some smaller oddball holes, those were okay as well.

I hear ya, on the I can fix it if need be later stuff. Always coming up with better ideas like with this larger version of the bog, after having the pond going on 10 years now. My wife rolls her eyes at me most the time when I say I need to do this and that to fix something on whatever, I just made. She just of the mindset why are you just jumping in and why didn’t you just do it right the first time, just tell her I am not smart enough for that, but I can fix a lot of problems that arise from my method. Of course, I only do this with my own stuff, never really happens with my customers or others stuff.
ok you went further then I would fess to but lmao here as the mrs just walked down to the patio and gave me the hairy eyeball. I may end up down that way rumbling I may be heading for Baltimore area for a while we'll have to have a drink. do a tail gate party across the parking lot of a boat launch somewhere. got to keep the 6 foot

Ask a Question