Redesign of bog/wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
do a tail gate party across the parking lot of a boat launch somewhere. got to keep the 6 foot
I hope we'll be able to use our boats this year! I'm looking forward to the boating season. I hope they cancel the stay-at-home rules at least by May. After all, while on our boat, we won't be anywhere near other people anyway.
We only go during the week anyway...less people using the launches. I'm lucky, I'm retired and like it that way. There are some really ignorant, dumb, discourteous people at the launches on the weekends.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
ok you went further then I would fess to but lmao here as the mrs just walked down to the patio and gave me the hairy eyeball. I may end up down that way rumbling I may be heading for Baltimore area for a while we'll have to have a drink. do a tail gate party across the parking lot of a boat launch somewhere. got to keep the 6 foot

Haha can always use a drink especially these days.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@poconojoe

Ive seen a lot of funny and stupid things happen at boat ramps In my line of work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one of the best for myself was we were at Burger King lake winipisaki my buddy thought it was a good idea to hold a French fry up have the sea gull hover and come take it from his hand . it worked a couple times then he thought he'd try to grab one. I told him it was a shi__ thing to do. and just a baddddd idea. Well the next one came in for the fry and bob reached upland he got a leg and the seagull dropped his load sorta speak right on to Dave's hamber as he was opening up to take a bite. His um reaction was one I'll never forget it was pretty gross. I thought I had never lol so hard in my life. Dave got up and chased after bob a lanky 6'-6" bean pole down the dock dave couldn't catch him so he kicked Bob's back foot while running it spun him around he hit the decks post and catapolted over it flipping . This was in mid april. The water was beyond cold. well I lol so hard oh hout I wish you tube was around back then and these cell phones. Dave had also driven and refused to let bob in and warm up . he had to go into Burger King soaking wet ... paybacks a bbbbyach

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe

Ive seen a lot of funny and stupid things happen at boat ramps In my line of work.
Yeah, I've witnessed quite a few myself.
I can tell you some whoppers. But, it's mostly the rude ones that keep me away from the ramps on the weekends. And it's not just the boaters. Once I was at a busy ramp (on a weekend!!!), and there were no spaces left to park my rig after launching. Cars were parked all over even in spots designated for vehicles with trailers. A woman was sitting in her little car and I politely asked her to move into a smaller spot nearby. She refused! I was flabbergasted! I explained to her that she was in a designated spot for a vehicle with a trailer. She refused. I ended up parking on a grass embankment. So it's not just the boaters. It's swimmers, hikers or just spectators that can make your day difficult. Retirement is great! We only go to the lake during the week.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
People can be ignorant, it’s not surprising people would park their cars in a trailer spot.

Ive seen boats sink in the ramps( forget to put plug in) this is a common on, vehicles slide down the ramp into the river, people pull boats and proceed to wash boat off in ramp for 15 minutes, or pull up still blocking everything and start putting stuff away. Saw a guy trailer his boat and not strap it down, it ended up in the middle of the road around the corner from the marina.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, the old forget to put the drain plug in mishap! I have say, knock on wood, I've never done that...yet! Maybe because P.A. doesn't have that strict rule about trailering with the drain plug in. While on the ramp after retrieval, I unscrew the plug, hook my transom straps up, then screw the plug right back in.

There are a bunch of boat ramp fail videos on you tube.
Nice trucks being winched out of the water. Completely submerged. Totally ruined. Big lifted highly capable looking 4x4's in the drink. How does one do that? Considering the price of a full size truck, it's quite sad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll never forget a guy who was in such a hurry to get the boat in the water, he never took the tie downs off!!!! it was a steep ramp ...the boat floated up lifting the trailer and it fish tailed and he ruined both the boat and the 3500 dualy. how do you not see this happening in your mirrors?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Found a log on a job site, just need to figure out where I am going to put it around the bog and pond, cut it in half so I can handle moving it. Might steal GBBUDD’s idea of having water run through the hollow part of it.

View attachment 127115View attachment 127113
outside of this haven’t done a whole lot with bog, stuck in the aqua blocks, snorkel/centipede and hooked up hose. Now have to get the rock, which I am working on, but going to be slow with things shutting down everywhere. Quarries still open and pretty much all construction is deemed essential, in Md at the moment.
did you take some of the dirt for lack of a better word the bacteria some of the rock from the old bog and mix a little in with the new bog? Glad you liked it the wife use to love the spagnum moss bog on the other side of the water fall but now she loves the water coming out of the tree.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
did you take some of the dirt for lack of a better word the bacteria some of the rock from the old bog and mix a little in with the new bog? Glad you liked it the wife use to love the spagnum moss bog on the other side of the water fall but now she loves the water coming out of the tree.

Yes I mixed a little bit in there and threw all the plants from the old bog in the bog for the smaller turtle pond. So I have bunch of the bacteria and stuff from the plants root ball. Also decided to put the irises back in and am going to try and contain them with larger rocks to keep them from taking over.

Some shots finished putting the gravel in threw some dead logs in there smeared with moss and turned water on. The one log I was going to try and run water through is a little big. If I stick it by the falls you can’t see over it to see the bog. Got some finishing touches to do, which knowing me and the fact that the bog is now operational may be awhile.
F6D26B43-1CF5-4AB6-9A5A-5B594E7BFD8B.jpeg
AFA9C2EE-F4A7-4769-84E5-480764C03875.jpeg
472055B5-CFC2-475B-AE42-C3FF7A1E9904.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great accomplishment! Looks great!
It's hard work...I know...I've been out there bustin' my butt too. Took apart my waterfall, moved a whole giant load of rocks, and I'm digging my bog. Man, I'm not as young as I used to be...I'm feeling it! I'm gonna take my time and rest up. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll be where you are. Probably more like a few weeks!
Enjoy!
20200411_161458.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are the aquablocks or easy pro blocks used for? What is their purpose?
looks real nice.

If you take a glass of dirty water realy dirty and put it aside for a couple days the water will be clear. the rock and aquablocks slow water flow down trapping or drastically slowing the water thats being filtered. The huge advantage over mechanical filters. when I shut the pumps off the water will continue to drain for hours. add the plants sucking out nutrients from the water and what could be better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I noticed water flowing from the forget me not is that the old bog

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I noticed water flowing from the forget me not is that the old bog
That is the waterfall filter, I emptied all the filter pads and bio balls out of it a few years back. Thought about yanking it, but Decided to keep it for simplicity. The water forget me not grew out of the old bog and into the waterfall filter, liked the look so left it.

Ask a Question