Reducing splash noise

Reaction score
Hi. I have had a very small pond (about 3x2 feet, more of a water feature really) for a few years, and had a small 150 gph pump that just fed water into an attractive terracotta jug to return straight to the pond. The drop from the jug to the pond surface was just a couple of inches, and it made a quiet tinkling sound, soothing without being annoying to neighbours.

I've now built a bigger pond to replace it, with pressurised filter and 300 gph pump. I was planning to return the water from the filter via the same jug, but the increased flow rate has resulted in much more noise from the water - enough to probably annoy the neighbours and definitely enough to annoy the wife.

I've added a flow regulator, but the noise level only becomes acceptable at very low flow rates, too low for the filter to be effective. For now, I've disconnected the jug, and am returning the water directly from the pipe from the filter, which is almost silent. But I'd really like to find a way of using the jug as it is quite attractive.

So, I'm trying to find a way of reducing the sound, and am hoping all you pond experts may have some ideas. One idea I've had is to use a pipe splitter, and just have 1/2 the water go via the jug and the remainder directly back via the pipe. Please let me know what ideas you have...

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, fishyweb. I concur with DrCase. Your solution sounds the best. If that doesn't work you could always get another cheap small pump that only operates your jug feature - something low power. Your main pump would run as you have it - direct and quiet from filter to pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishyweb
If you put a rock under where the water splashes into the pond from the jug wouldn't that make it more quiet also?

Reaction score
fishyweb
If you put a rock under where the water splashes into the pond from the jug wouldn't that make it more quiet also?
Actually, that's another idea I tried (though forgot to mention in my initial post) i.e. I used a piece of flat slate under the outlet in the hope that the water would then just run down quietly. It didn't have the expected desired effect.

Thanks for your welcomes, BTW :)

Ask a Question