Splash off or Leak?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I am new to taking care of my pond, and I am losing water; I think it is from the splash off, how can I determine that is the reason? How do I correct it? Thanks for your help!

Adam

I am trying to attach a video but not allowing me to....I will try and upload pics later, thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! We've actually got a similar problem with our pond - the water level keeps on dropping, but it always seems to be worse when it's windy or sunny. We've got a net across our pond and I think it becomes a platform from which lots of water evaporates, and when it's windy the water is blown from the fountain away from the pond. It's a tricky one to figure out given the possible causes! I would say that if you have a constant drop in water level despite the external conditions (except perhaps heavy rain) then it's more likely to be a leak... if it's worse when it's windy or sunny then perhaps it's just splashing and evaporation....?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome Adam. Allow the water to reach its true level. Somehow mark the waterline then lower the water below that mark. Go around the pond looking for a hole in the liner. I realize the process sounds simple yet it can actually be complicated due to numerous factors. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What if I shut the waterfall off for 24 hrs or so and the water stays at the same level, would that mean it is from the splash off? Thanks for your help everyone...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have fish and is the waterfall a sole source of filtration or aeration for them? If it's not then I wouldn't see why you couldn't. If it is, you might want to wait for the experts to weigh in since I don't have fish.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Possibly. In calm wind turn on the waterfall the add water to your pond to bring it up to its desired level. If with no wind and the pond topped off the pond loses water then the leak may be in your waterfall. In gusty wind conditions monitor the area all around the waterfall. If you find an excess amount of water your water loss may be caused by splash off and normal evaporation. Good luck.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What if I shut the waterfall off for 24 hrs or so and the water stays at the same level, would that mean it is from the splash off? Thanks for your help everyone...

Yes or from a leak around your waterfall, assuming you have one. Evaporation will vary from day to day, a leak is constant.
You don't indicate what part of the U.S. you live in, so the chart below may help. Just remember that these are yearly average rates.
annual mean pan evap.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone; Im in NJ and I have fish (2 goldfish and 2 catfish) in there; I can visibly see that the waterfall is splashing out of the pond; it is just a couple drops at a time but running 24 hrs can that be the cause of losing a couple of inches a day? The pond is approximately 500 gallon; I am trying to upload video I took but having trouble....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone; Im in NJ and I have fish (2 goldfish and 2 catfish) in there; I can visibly see that the waterfall is splashing out of the pond; it is just a couple drops at a time but running 24 hrs can that be the cause of losing a couple of inches a day? The pond is approximately 500 gallon; I am trying to upload video I took but having trouble....
What are the surface dimensions of your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
not sure, will measure when I get home, does this picture help?

Attachments

• Pond Pic 2.jpg
    Pond Pic 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 262

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and plants and rocks will use water up also .If your pond gets sun and rocks get wet over and over again and sun is drying them out it will take a lot of water .I am from NJ and know those winds can kick up a lot .What type of filter do you have and have you checked your hoses .

Ask a Question