Regional food could make you rich

Reaction score
I've often thought that if someone wanted to make a lot of money they could bring a product that is really popular in their area to a new area. From the land that brought you chicken wings (we don't call them buffalo wings since that's where we are) there is another extremely popular item called roast beef on kimmelwick or simply beef on weck. It's topped with a little horse radish hot enough to clear out your sinus. I have never seen the sandwich available anywhere else. Easy enough to make anywhere in the world as long as you can get the kimmelwick rolls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
It is worth a try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it tanks--and for various reasons.

Portillo's Hot Dogs is a great example. Most of their locations are based in Illinois/near Chicago. However, they have very successfully expanded to a few shops in Arizona and Florida. The main reason it works well is because there are thousands of Chicago ex-pats in Phoenix and Tampa who are dying for genuine Chicago-style food; they also use the same suppliers as well so there is no noticeable difference in product taste or quality. I could not believe the line in the Scottsdale Portillo's when I was out west some time ago... That location had been open for well over a year and the place was still practically busting at the seams with customers during the lunch rush.

Reaction score
It is worth a try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it tanks--and for various reasons.

Portillo's Hot Dogs is a great example. Most of their locations are based in Illinois/near Chicago. However, they have very successfully expanded to a few shops in Arizona and Florida. The main reason it works well is because there are thousands of Chicago ex-pats in Phoenix and Tampa who are dying for genuine Chicago-style food; they also use the same suppliers as well so there is no noticeable difference in product taste or quality. I could not believe the line in the Scottsdale Portillo's when I was out west some time ago... That location had been open for well over a year and the place was still practically busting at the seams with customers during the lunch rush.
Same thing in the Buffalo area we have Ted's hot dogs. So good they were featured on the food network.

Ask a Question