Remind me to practice what I preach with my pond water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
You have described my pond to a t, bagsmom. The weather has been crazy so like you, I am hoping that we just have to be patient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
For those with the pea soup ponds, remember, you can set up a algae filter. Line a milk crate or plastic laundry basket with quilt batting, pump water over that to catch the gunk. Rinse as needed.
All my plumbing is underground. I could rig up a screen with batting and put it over the opening to the skimmer, though. I bet that would be an interesting experiment. Thanks for the reminder!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All my plumbing is underground. I could rig up a screen with batting and put it over the opening to the skimmer, though. I bet that would be an interesting experiment. Thanks for the reminder!
I did a big water change on one pond as a power loss caused a filter and the bog to backflush! Using a spare solids handling pump now to pump water thru one of the blue furnace filters to be followed by adding the quilt batting. I always have a spare pump and tubing around for such things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I did a big water change on one pond as a power loss caused a filter and the bog to backflush! Using a spare solids handling pump now to pump water thru one of the blue furnace filters to be followed by adding the quilt batting. I always have a spare pump and tubing around for such things.
Come to think of it, I have a cheap submersible pump I got from Harbor Freight. I could rig it up to pump through a garden hose and shoot the water into a crate of batting - and just let it drain into the pond. I wonder how I could keep the fish from getting hurt by the pump, though.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Come to think of it, I have a cheap submersible pump I got from Harbor Freight. I could rig it up to pump through a garden hose and shoot the water into a crate of batting - and just let it drain into the pond. I wonder how I could keep the fish from getting hurt by the pump, though.
Not sure how your pump could hurt your fish. Unless you have tiny fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sigh normal clear water here...............
Here as well crystall clear a little string in the stream some fuzzy wuzzy on the rocks but all sold and I am not surprised with the string in the stream my water level is almost half what it should be i have a lot of algae and some plants dieing even though I am hosing them down every day. The wife and I almost want to keep the level this low . but then the addition would be pointless.. large dry stream maybe
20200506_101917.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a big water change on one pond as a power loss caused a filter and the bog to backflush!
Other then back flow presenters there are also cheater valves they are like a back flow preventer but instead when the power goes out the pressure to the same type of flap opens but it let's in air. Thus it breaks the syphon

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Other then back flow presenters there are also cheater valves they are like a back flow preventer but instead when the power goes out the pressure to the same type of flap opens but it let's in air. Thus it breaks the syphon
I have holes drilled as air breaks but the spring algae had clogged them. Making sure now to put those on weekly list of things to check. Have had bad luck with check valves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I just dropped the submersible pump into the bottom of the pond, couldn't the draw suck them in?
it can but I had my submersible running while I looked for leaks . no one got sucked in that I am aware of .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you are worried about them getting sucked in you could set the pump into a plastic pot and surround it w/matala media or wrap netting all around the pump while it sucks the muck. You will have to pull the stuff out and clean it off when it gets dirty and full of gunk tho.

Ask a Question