Remind me to practice what I preach with my pond water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have another question I realized I don't know the answer to. I have a big waterfall filter with lots of spring/tape style filter media and two matala pads inside. I'm still waiting for the water to clear up. We have had some COLD nights but I think Spring is going to be here to stay now. We're going back up into more seasonal high 80s for the highs and mid-60s for the lows. Here is the question: do the helpful bacteria that consume nitrogen/waste need the warmer temps to thrive? If so, that would make sense as to why my water is green right now. As I mentioned before, there's not much plant debris in the water and the pond is not overstocked with fish. (I'm still trying to find encouraging thoughts to keep me patient with this yucky water.)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that mrsclem and a lot of work for you to do but all will come out the best .I have harbor freight pumps and never had a problem with them harming my fish .I have 1 in each filter on the bottom of my stock tank filters and plug them in to back flush and clean out the filters .I have to turn off the pumps in the pond that go to the filters but a lot easier to clean thew filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have another question I realized I don't know the answer to. I have a big waterfall filter with lots of spring/tape style filter media and two matala pads inside. I'm still waiting for the water to clear up. We have had some COLD nights but I think Spring is going to be here to stay now. We're going back up into more seasonal high 80s for the highs and mid-60s for the lows. Here is the question: do the helpful bacteria that consume nitrogen/waste need the warmer temps to thrive? If so, that would make sense as to why my water is green right now. As I mentioned before, there's not much plant debris in the water and the pond is not overstocked with fish. (I'm still trying to find encouraging thoughts to keep me patient with this yucky water.)

Bacteria will thrive more in the summer months so long as there is enough oxygen in the water column. You know plants can help with the green water so why not add some plants to the equation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Bacteria will thrive more in the summer months so long as there is enough oxygen in the water column. You know plants can help with the green water so why not add some plants to the equation.
I do have tons of plants! Just waiting for the weather to stay warm so they can take off. I have pickerel, water celery, lilies, lotus, iris, parrot's feather, water Hawthorne, marsh betony, bog bean, frog bit, and water willow. Today I told them all to hurry up and get growing. But I'm not sure they are ready to listen to me. Soon, though!!!!!! We have just had such weird weather with a cool spring. Not complaining about the temps, though! It will help a lot with this year's electric bill and the AC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yay! The water is clearing up! I can see down to the bottom again! I was noticing that my large hydrangea just now has small buds. Usually by this time, it is in full flower. I think the unusually cool weather in May made everything slow to get going.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yay! The water is clearing up! I can see down to the bottom again! I was noticing that my large hydrangea just now has small buds. Usually by this time, it is in full flower. I think the unusually cool weather in May made everything slow to get going.
What is the name of your hydrangea, and is it one that tolerates some direct sunlight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Mmathis - I don't even know. It is the only plant that was here when we bought our house over 20 years ago. We call it a Grandma Shrub, since we have no idea of the variety. It does tolerate some direct sun, but it sure gets wilty looking when it gets hit by it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a hydrangea in my bog left it in the pot and it see's 4 hours of sun at least It's yellow with the red center

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You know, I just read my last post and see that it might have been unclear. The hydrangea is just in the yard. Not in or near the pond. My remark about that was more a comment on how the strange weather this season has affected ALL the plants. Typically, my pond water starts looking good around the same time that they hydrangea is beginning to bloom. Both are about a month late this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Patience Grasshopper!

Attachments

• kung fu.jpg
    kung fu.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 73

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have noticed that my perennials are 2 weeks behind in blooming and are much smaller this year. I agree. The cooler spring affected my pond and flowers. It was nice to wake up one morning to see the algae all gone and to see the bottom of the pond again. It just took a little more patience this spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
now there's a blast from the past for sure . grasshopper

Ask a Question