replace uv bulb?

Reaction score
I am running a aqua 57 wtt. sterilizer and found the bulb has burned out , pond is in the shade 99% of day and have never had algea problems,. how important is the uv in my case ,is it important ? should i replace bulb or stop running it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are not having algae problems I would not run it. imho

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why would you want to waste the electric and money for a new one if you have shade .Leave it go for a couple of weeks if you see no problems then maybe you don't need it .My pond is in mostly sun and never have had a uv .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would do as suggested, leave it alone and see, In most cases once a pond is balanced and the water is kept in the proper parameters are being kept you may not need it anymore. If you happen to see you do need it you can always order and replace when needed. green water is not pretty but it's not harmful to fish. so the pond can wait while you get a new bulb in if you decide you still need to run it.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
I have the same Aqua 57ww UV system. If your pond is clear and generally in the shade.. I'd keep it off... but if you slowly develop more algae I'd turn it back on. Up to you.. my pond is half sun half shade... and during the summer month, it would be full of algae so I keep the uv light on to clarify and sterilze the water. Come winter time I turn it off. The bulbs vary in price and can get up there.. I bought a few bulbs for about $38 each.. you can find deals online.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't use them, and my pond is always clear. I wouldn't waste the money on a replacement bulb if you are shaded that much.

Ask a Question