Replanting a water lily?

Reaction score
That's just one of them!!! I never knew what to do with them, so I kinda let them go. Figured, "well, it's still alive so it must be good". Appears I was wrong. I have also NEVER used and fertilizer tablets on these. Bought some last week, haven't got around to putting them in though:( These were like 6 bucks a piece. Thanks for the info. Will buy oil pans and pea gravel as soon as possible and not cut it. Will most of the tuber, in my case, grow pads then?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Not really, the tip is where most of the pads come from, But alomg the rhizome there will appear small shoots that will form and grow new tips. where those split off is where you cut new plants from, it's best to have roots forming from these shoots before cutting them. This is also what some of the tubor needs to be left out of the planting media so they can form and the plant will thicken.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
goldfish, I use oil pans and kitty litter clay. it is a little more substantial then pea gravel, but saying that pea gravel will work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did plant mine in pea gravel once and they grew fine but the only think I didn't like is when it came time to divide them the roots were severely connected to all that gravel and it was a bummer to get them out of it all. That's why I'm considering the larger rocks in the oil pans just to hold them in place cuz basically what is the difference? The plants aren't getting the nutrients from the rocks so who cares what size they are as long as they keep the plants in the place right?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep true jw, I like the kitty litter so I can feed the lilies, fish load still too light to really feed them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As big as your pond is addy you may have to feed lilies forever unless you have a population explosion like China :twisted:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well we have a ton of fry with plenty of places for them to hide, so we will see if some make it. I see shubie fry, white lil ones with gold heads and all gold colors,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so cool addy...........gotta get me some shubbies if the weather ever warms up here. Do you just put your new fish in w/o quarantine cuz if I have to qt then that means set up an aquarium and I'm not into that again but I suppose I may have to :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't tell anybody, but yep. Always have, never had an issue. But I don't have koi. With the number of little ones, probably won't add any more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
zipped8.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing, they just keep on trying to grow, eventually break the pot.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should leave it whole imho, that is what I used. The lilies roots will take up the area easily.

Ask a Question