Restoration of backyard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I have been doing restoration of my backyard pond that has not been maintained for quite some time. I am looking for some help on setup and equipment to be used.

Background:
The pond is about 2500 gallons with an external pump located outside the pond. All the piping is underground but it seems to indicate 2 inlet pipes and 3 outlet pipes controlled by ball valves. The main inlet pipe just comes through a prefilter basket located in the pond. The 2nd inlet pipe was disconnected and leads to a drain at the bottom of the pond. I figure the previous owner had clogging issues and switched over to the main inlet pipe used now. I intend to leave it as is unless there are other reasons to have it connected? As for the prefilter basket, is just an enclosed basket enough or should there be filter media inside?

The outlet pipes.

One outlet pipe leads to the waterfall. In the waterfall basket, the pipe enters on the side from the bottom. For filtration, moving upward, there was a layer of lava rocks, a layer of small gravel, and then a couple filter pads. I’ve seen now where basically just bioballs in a bag plus a filter pad is used. I was wondering your recommendations are on what the better method is. I was going to keep the same method, but maybe enclose the rocks in separate mesh bag so it is easier to clean.

The second outlet pipe leads outside the pond into a pit of large rocks where I believe the purpose is just overflow or backwash. In this pit, there are two pipes, one is deeper and the other is about a foot higher. The 2nd outlet pipe is the one that is deeper. I don’t yet know the higher pipe leads; I think maybe it just soaks into the ground away from the pond.

I’m still trying to figure out where the 3rd outlet pipe leads, not sure yet if it leads to the same place as the 2nd outlet pipe or somewhere else.

I can upload some pictures or diagram if anybody would like to see them. Any help is appreciated

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
@pondguy1234
We would love to see pictures! We love them :joyful:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
P[ICTURES ARE A MUST ...... Please don't sterilize the pond if it is that old you have some bacteria and microbes and god know what in there. These are key to the type of fish ponds we keep on this site for the most part. welcome aboard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some photos. I had to completely drain it as years of dirt, debris, leaves, pine needles etc. had accumulated on the bottom and resulted in a bunch of muddy sludge. The bottom drain has half dome cap that sits above it not shown in the photo, and the two pipes are dug out but usually completely covered by rocks.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 24
  • piping.jpg
    piping.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 25
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 21
  • bottom drain.jpg
    bottom drain.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 20
  • pipe outlet 2.jpg
    pipe outlet 2.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 24

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
Just saw this, a bit confusing even with your great description.

A drawing might help, where the pipes start, where they go, etc

Ask a Question