Retaining wall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I got the liner for my bog. The bog is 5x6,12 in deep. What do I do now? I need help on how to cut the liner to join it to my other liner and how to create a weir.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_133808.jpg
    IMG_20191109_133808.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20191109_133808.jpg
    IMG_20191109_133808.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 139

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never cut any part of my liner. Always just tucked the extra to hide as ya never know when you might need to readjust it. Not sure about the joining part as I only have a waterfall and I just overlapped and put liner under waterfall in case of leaks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank-you! I was wondering if I could just over lap it like that. But should I use something at the front of the bog on each side of the weir?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Overlap the bog liner over the pond liner as deep into the pond as possible and as wide as possible, then form a low point in both liners at middle for the water to flow over.

Later you can experiment a bit to make it look natural by adding flat rocks. Or stack the rocks along the divide creating a rock wall. The pea gravel in your bog can help support the rocks. You could have the water flow over or under the rocks. Just make sure the pea gravel doesn't wash out into the pond. You can set rocks near the low spot in the gravel to prevent this.

Some members have used a bead of PL roofing cement between the liners for a seal. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but probably a good idea.
Hopefully they will chime in to verify the exact product name.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are in freezing temperatures you will need to do the PL goop before it can freeze and does not have a chance to cure .If you build the top right you do not need a weir .The sides of the top and bottom liner just have to be higher than the middle where the water runs .My waterfall pond is built like that
100_8602.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Overlap the bog liner over the pond liner as deep into the pond as possible and as wide as possible, then form a low point in both liners at middle for the water to flow over.

Later you can experiment a bit to make it look natural by adding flat rocks. Or stack the rocks along the divide creating a rock wall. The pea gravel in your bog can help support the rocks. You could have the water flow over or under the rocks. Just make sure the pea gravel doesn't wash out into the pond. You can set rocks near the low spot in the gravel to prevent this.

Some members have used a bead of PL roofing cement between the liners for a seal. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but probably a good idea.
Hopefully they will chime in to verify the exact product name.

The one fact i never found was a basic height of how much the liner should come up higher then the height of the waters surface. well i would now say i would not build again without having a 6 inch high edge all the way around to contain the water. the reason for this would be dead plant mater can actually act like a straw and wick the water up and over low sides. i have found even rubber folds wicking water up over a low edge. Now that doesn't mean all the edges have to be a 6 inch vertical wall it can be like a beach and the height is obtained over a foot or more .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used over foot of overhang of liner and glad I did because after I raised the sides up another 8 inch's .We had really bad spring rains that flooded everything .When I put the new liner in I left 2 feet of overhang and ended up raising that another foot but my pond is above ground about over 2 feet .The ground were I put my pond slopes really bad

Ask a Question