Returning filtered water into pond

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I currently have my external filters outlet hose in a camouflaged position on the ponds edge. This way the water carries air with it into the pond. A new, more water feature idea I have is to run the hose into the water then along the bottom to the ponds center (or other location) where it would connect to a stablished PVC 90 degree elbow which in turn has a short length of PVC pipe extending up yet below the surface. The goal of this configuration is to have the returning water slightly gush up from the surface. Have natural spring fed pond look.

Do you see any downside to my idea?

Reaction score
No downside I can see. If the water actually breaks the surface you could end up with foam on the surface sometimes. But you could always cut the vertical pipe back if you didn't like the foam.

Reaction score
It could affect your pond water circulation which depends upon the size, shape and depth of your pond and where your water pick up (return) point is located. It might alter your water current throughout the pond leaving one zone with lower circulation and another with above that which is necessary. With the same reasoning, it might even be better for your pond than what you had to begin with. The only other item that I can think of is wave action. If you have fish, will you create so much wave action throughout the pool that you won't be able to view your fine finned friends clearly?

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why not simply make a venturie which draws air into the water passing through it as it is returned to the pond sited just under the surface of the water .
If you had insalled a bottom drain on your pond then you could have like with our pond instaeed a spindifter bottom drain bubbler by attatching a 2" pipe to the 4" bottom drain so that you can attach a hose to it from an airpump

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question