Right time to pull pump and filter for winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
So with colder weather coming soon when is the right time to pull my pump and filter to put them away for the winter? I just don't want to pull it too early but don't want to get caught with it freezing either.

My pond water has not gone below 50 degrees yet but it has been in the low 50's. We are supposed to have colder than normal weather for this time of year with snow/rain mix.

Others who live in the area have told me mid November is about when they pull theirs. I read that when the water temperature is in the 40s it's time to shut down. Does that sound right?

This is the weather outlook for the next 8 days:

Attachments

• 8 Day Weather Forecast for Cleveland.JPG
    8 Day Weather Forecast for Cleveland.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 240

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You don't need to put away the pump or filter. I've left mine out all these years. I usually stop my pump when temps approach the low 40s.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just unplug them and unhook the hoses. The pump stays in the water while the hoses are lifted out of the pond so they drain and stay just on the outside of the pond till spring. The first year I waited till the first of December and I was frozen out there doing that work. So last year I did it in mid November and it worked out well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just unplug pumps and leave them in the pond. I also leave my hoses, right where they are. I have a pressurized filter, so pull disconnect it, give it a good cleaning, get new seals and uv light and store till Spring. I usually pull my filter mid Nov . Kim

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool! I was thinking I had to take the pump out and put the filter and hoses away. Good to know I can just unplug and leave as is, glad I asked :smile: I have the DIY rubbermaid bin filter which I think I will put away just to try to protect it a bit from the weather (was told they don't always hold up very well from the elements) but I will leave the pump in the pond and the hoses can stay out as well. Should I cover the plug end of the pump with a plastic bag or something? Don't have a UV so I don't have to worry about that.

Ask a Question