roots on the surface of the water

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Is it natural for the roots of water lettuce and hyacinth to float on top of the water rather than dangle below. I'll get a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20120506_183122.jpg
    IMG_20120506_183122.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 248

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine are doing that too. I was wondering if it's because the roots are hitting the filter media?

Reaction score
Is it natural for the roots of water lettuce and hyacinth to float on top of the water rather than dangle below. I'll get a photo.
No it's not natural, they should be dangling straight down. It looks like you have some kind of (floating) algea growing on the roots.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, that is not natural, What is happening is your getting air bubbles in the algae that is forming on the roots. Not a hard fix though. First try clumping the plants closer together, this will help slow the growth of the algae on the roots, second make your netting a little deeper, the roots of hyacinths can get 2' long or longer. the net basket probably should be around 18" minimal to 2.5' deep from the surface. lastly, you can rinse the roots in some pond water by simply dipping them up and down don't rinse with city water as chlorine can damage the sensitive roots even more than the algae growth will.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The roots are coated with algae, which is respiring (breathing) and giving off either oxygen or carbon dioxide depending on day or night. This gas is being held by the algae fibres, causing the roots to float. Once the algae dies back, the plants will float normally.
John
Sorry, I guess the three of us all posted at once.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep it seems roots on them don't like light .The ones i over wintered in a fish tank in the basement did not do well and the ones in the concrete mixing tub did great

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I never put anything in my pond I have what i call a check period .A concrete tub a kiddy pool or even one of those tubs they sell at wally world work .I always clean the roots off really good .Maybe i am to careful about it but thats me .peroxide is a fix all for me .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great and hope they are growing nice and healthy .I just can't keep them in my pond, fish destroy them .I enjoy them in my stock tank .

Ask a Question