Rosy Reds have Disappeared

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Then I guess I can allow this guy to stay in my pond, huh? I was thrilled to see a HUGE bullfrog across the road from my house, in the ditch, but read so much about them eating fish that decided to leave him there. Then, tonight, this guy shows up, like a statue! I would love to let him stay, and since he's about 5" long and my smallest koi is 4-5" I'd say they are safe, right? Have a few feeder goldies that I still see every day so he's not gotten them yet. Oh, and sorry for the blurry pic. It was taken from about 20' away and zoomed in too far (with no tripod to steady the camera). But, you get the idea of his size. The barley bale he's straddling is 4" in diameter across the top.

Attachments

• Bullfrog.JPG
    Bullfrog.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Bullfrog side view.JPG
    Bullfrog side view.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 297

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you want to allow him to stay and you don't want to take chances he needs to eat. If you have a good light to attracked bugs you'll make him happy, A light above the pond that is as far away from your sitting area and doorway is the best spot but You'll have to see what suits your needs best.My light is under the deck shining into the pond. Draws quite a bit of buggies. You can set it on a timer to go off each night. It's cool sitting there watching them. They get used to you they will sit very close, By that point if you decide he does need to go, he's not THAT hard to catch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have had my bullfrog for about a year and he has never bothered any of the fish. He has been missing for about a month now so I think he went on some some sort of adventure. I hope he comes back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great idea, Fishin! I would love for him to stay, and didn't even think of making his eating capabilities easier on him with a light. I've not put any lights in or around the pond yet, still waiting for the electrician to put a couple of quad boxes on the corners of my deck, but hey, another extension cord with a light for the bullfrog will be fun to watch! Will get that today, and watch the action tonight. BTW, this morning, he was sitting on the hyacinths I have in the floating rope ring. Tried to get too close for a pic, and under he went. :) Still pretty skittish, but he will learn.

Ask a Question