rosy reds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I decided to get some rosy reds to put in my stock tank for the summer. If they survive they will be moved to the pond before the winter. Here they are when I brought them home (they are in the stock tank now) They sure seem to be active little buggers. I got 21 rosy reds and 2 tiny shubies but 2 of the rosy reds died and one of the shubies shortly after bringing them home. They rest seem healthy and happy :)

061.JPG
061.JPG
073.JPG
065.JPG

sorry, seems one of the photos are posted twice :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maria I've Heard RR's are randy little buggers , dont know if your goldies would snack on them though , doesnt Prisicilla keep RR's with her fish if so perhaps she could answer that for you :)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Have raised RR in the past. If the pond is big enough they will spawn....it's interesting to see them make a "nest" with the female protecting it. After hatching the young will form "balls" or schools that they will stay in for a few days. If you have Gambusia in the pond they won't last long as they will start gobbling them up! RR are a variation of the fathead minnow used for Crappie fishing....

Reaction score
I don't have rosey reds, but I have platys (small about 1 inch red fish, black tail). Lets see ..... I think I have about 400 in the pond now - started with 4 in January. STINKERS!!!! NO my fish don't eat them. Its like they all grew up together and so they all hang out, and I even have a tilapia in there, no one eats anyone. They're all buddies.

I don't have to heart to just scoop them out and throw them in the garden. My husband offered to do it, although it would be hard for him....... I posted them on FB and a craigslist type site here, no one wants any for free.

I'm now thinking of buying a preformed pond and putting it next to my big pond and putting the platys in there, not netting it and let nature take its course.

I would introduce some type of carnivore like an Oscar, but I'm scared he will bother my goldfish and koi.

I have learned my lesson.

Good luck with your rosey reds. Make sure your bio filter can handle the load, mine is struggling.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put around 100 rr in my lotus tank, 300 gallon, there are not a ton in the tank, it is sort of balanced out. They can easily get to the big pond, have never seen any in it. They have not managed to over whelm the pond.

Ask a Question