Sad fish

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Marine salt is in most fish stores I think. Marine salt not sea salt for salt water aquariums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well all the ugliness is clearing up pretty quickly on his side. The fuzz is completely gone now and I can see his eye pretty clearly. It's definitely intact and doesn't really look like any damage was done to it, but again last night when I fed him, he didn't appear to see any food on that side. At least he seems to be healing well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
We moved him into the 10g aquarium today, and I finally got a good look at the damage. Essentially the front half of his right side got scuffed up. The scales are growing back already, but he still has a small gash across his gill cover. The eye is definitely in bad shape. I don't see the solid point of a pupil, and it looks like it is scarring over completely. It's still really hard to tell, but I think he might be able to still see changes in light on that side.

Overall he is healing up quickly and his appetite is consistent for a comet (IE: he eats like a pig), but I think unless we have a really extended Summer, I'm just going to leave him inside to recover until next year. He is out of danger now though, and that's what matters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Oh yeah, I was planning to do that tonight! ... OK, snapped a bunch of shots, most are pretty blurry, but here's some that are fairly clear...

This makes it pretty obvious there is something wrong with that right eye...
IMG_8374.JPG

This is his good side. It looks like he also snapped the front of his dorsal fin...
IMG_8376.JPG

This is the best shot I could get of his bad side...
IMG_8381.JPG

Actually the picture seems to indicate his scales on this side are in pretty good shape, but the day after I brought him inside this whole area was covered in fuzz (I assume from the slimecoat sluffing off) and there was another bloody gash on his side right behind the gill. The picture almost looks like you can see his pupil behind the scarring, but when you actually look at him it looks more like an empty socket. He definitely favors that side -- any time he's not swimming around he always rests with that side near the glass.

Full pictures are here if anyone is interested...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Marine salt is in most fish stores I think. Marine salt not sea salt for salt water aquariums.
Ordinary cooking salt from the Supermarket is about the best, people see medicated salt and aquarium salt "often to be sold at one hell of a mark up for threating fish" , its a ripp-off so save yourselves money in the future and buy a few Kilo to be kept ready for use at a latyer date .
We have a 5 kilo former koi food bucket filled to the rim ready to be used for what ever purpose we need it for to do with our koi

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, I was planning to do that tonight! ... OK, snapped a bunch of shots, most are pretty blurry, but here's some that are fairly clear...

This makes it pretty obvious there is something wrong with that right eye...
IMG_8374.JPG

This is his good side. It looks like he also snapped the front of his dorsal fin...
IMG_8376.JPG

This is the best shot I could get of his bad side...
IMG_8381.JPG

Actually the picture seems to indicate his scales on this side are in pretty good shape, but the day after I brought him inside this whole area was covered in fuzz (I assume from the slimecoat sluffing off) and there was another bloody gash on his side right behind the gill. The picture almost looks like you can see his pupil behind the scarring, but when you actually look at him it looks more like an empty socket. He definitely favors that side -- any time he's not swimming around he always rests with that side near the glass.

Full pictures are here if anyone is interested...
Him being small and all it may be that the socket damage you could see has left him all the weaker weaker eyesite wise him using the side of the tank to rest against as he knows noboday can attack him from that side.
It may not be a good idea for this fish to go into a pond situation and be kept indoors instead :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Just wanted to let everyone know I lost him today. This morning he was hanging up in the floating plants, but he swam around when I put in a little food for him. Haven't had another chance to check in until tonight, and he died sometime during the day. I really thought he was doing good, but apparently not. Rest in peace, little fella...

Ask a Question