Sad koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people I have had my pond 7 years and just dug it out a extra 5foot and put the existing pond water back in the new pond and filled the rest up with out side tap water and I have a eazy pod on it now as well as two more filter boxes but my koi seem to be doesile and not doing a lot off movement any help or will they come round it’s like there struggling for oxygen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi @Ricky and welcome to the GPF - let's see if we can figure out what's going on with your koi.

So you added more space - how many gallons do you have now? How many fish? How big are they? I'm not familiar with an "easy pod" - is the that a type of filter? Were the fish OK before you moved them? Do you have any aeration or can you add some? When you say "struggling for oxygen" are they gasping at the surface?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-19_16-12-3.gif
@Ricky

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ricky. Without knowing a lot about your setup a guess would be that typically when you add new water it is not as oxygenated as typical pond water. Also the water you had sitting around from the old pond may not have been oxygenated enough any more because it wasn't moving enough. I would suggest getting either an extra pump to push the water around or get an aerator. Even if you don't need to use them after a while it can come in handy to have an extra one. I had one of my pumps act up recently. By the time I figured out how to fix it a week passed by and I had one of my backups running the whole time.

Ask a Question