Sad fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Last week I picked up three new shubunkins for my pond. They're so small that when I add new fish, they disappear and I usually don't see them until the following year. Well Sunday evening one of the new guys turned up in the stream, just kind of hanging out in a calm spot behind some plants. I knew there was a problem when I was able to reach down and just scoop him up in my hand... It's hard to say exactly what happened, but the front half of his right side is scraped up pretty bad. The only thing I can imagine is that he got trapped in the rocks.

Obviously he wasn't going to survive outside in that condition, so I dropped an aquarium filter into a bucket and filled it with pond water, and took him inside to keep a close watch on. I'm worried that his eye was damaged, but otherwise its hard to tell the extent of his other injuries. He seems to have no trouble swimming against the filter current or keeping himself upright, so hopefully it's just a matter of keeping him safe until the injuries heal.

Last night I changed out half of his water with some clean pre-conditioned water (I keep a 55-gal barrel treated for the more sensitive tanks like our shrimp). It looked like his slime coat was sluffing off, so I added a dose of stress-coat, but this morning he still appeared to be swimming fine. Tonight I'll do another water change. The filter was dry so there's no good bacteria in there other that what may have been floating in the pond water.

Since he's still swimming good, I'm hoping for the best, but it's going to take awhile to heal. I'll probably move him over to a 10-gal aquarium if he survives until the weekend. If he looks healthy by the end of the month then I'll go ahead and move him back out to the pond, but otherwise the weather will be turning soon after and it will be better to keep him inside for the Winter and try again next year.

There's nothing special about how this little guy looks, but he's under my care and I'll do the best for him that I can. Hang in there, little fella...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had a similar thing happen to one of my babies, and with lots so TLC, it perked up and did well. Hopefully, yours will too! Hang in there little Shubie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well good news so far... The little guy is noticeably zippier tonight, and went right after the food pellets I dropped in after his water change. The fuzz around the scuffed area is looking better, I guess the stress-coat did its job today. While watching him go after the food, it appears he cannot see anything from that right side, however since the area has cleaned up I can see a little better now. His eye appears intact, so I'm hoping that it just got scuffed a little and will heal with time. Considering the damage to that area, I still doubt he'll ever have perfect vision in that side again, but I am now hopeful that he will at least regain some sight.

So far so good. My experience has generally been that if a fish survives more than a day or two after something bad, they usually have a real chance at recovery, so now I'm starting to get my hopes up for him...

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Add some salt and increase the temp to advance healing. That cured my 2 scraped up koi and now back in the pond and very happy.

.3 salt and higher temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The water temp in the house is about 10 degrees higher than outside, so that much is covered. I don't know if we even have any fish-safe salt around here. Never used it in any tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That fish is lucky to have you. Two years in a row now I have lost a female that was roughed up against the rocks during spawning. i think I'm going to set up a separate tank like you to keep them safe if they start to look bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My oldest female comet got shoved up under the edge rocks the first Summer after I built the new pond. Happened to see the commotion and was able to get her free. I haven't seen that happen again though, but she lost a lot of scales on one side. She was always solid red-orange, but that patch left half of her side white even after the scales grew back. Unfortunately I think a predator got her in the last couple years. I have not seen any sign of her for awhile now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear he is getting better and you are taking such good care of him. Hope he makes a full recovery and becomes a happy fish again

Ask a Question