So sad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I did a 20% water change and added AlgaeFix to my pond. Koi started skimming and hovering at the surface and looked oily. I immediately did another water change, while keeping the aerator on, they seemed to do a little better. I also sprayed water hose in the air letting water drop on the ponds surface and added a few dechlorination salts. They seemed to do much better. This might have been wishful thinking. This morning I looked out at the pond and saw what I thought was one koi floating at the top. I went out and it was. My favorite one. The biggest one. The leader. The one who ate from my hand and taught the others that I was safe and it was okay to eat from my hand. I am devastated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got an 18 watt one from topdogg seller on ebay 39 dollars with 2 bulbs .It seems to work pretty good cll pets on ebay sells them and the bulbs cheaper also

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This morning I looked out at the pond and saw what I thought was one koi floating at the top
So sorry to hear. Yes, stay away from the chemicals. In my first year I also killed my fish because I wanted clear water. I have learned to let the other plants get established and the algae goes away on its own.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi clay put in water helps koi and binds to algae .The weather we have had does not help water conditions .If the temps. of the water was high when you added the algaefix will make it worse for the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ugh. That's horrible about you losing your favorite. Agree with the above comments. Natural methods are way better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I added barley to the pond. This morning I found another koi laying dead at the bottom of the pond (I dont understand why he didn't float to top). I did another 20% water change and added some stress coat. Just went out this evening and found another koi barely surviving. Can I stop his suffering? Can I save the rest who seem to be ok but not eating? Theyre just hovering at the bottom of the pond around the aerator.

Ask a Question