Safe wood protection

Reaction score
Hi all,

for concrete i've found White Mountain Wet Look Stone Lacquer. Anybody have any experience with wood treatments, protection? Seems like maybe a standard marine lacquer would be ok once it had totally cured.

i'm going to rebuild the deck along the back fence and to the west side. part will hang over the pond and i don't want to repeat past mistakes. whatever treatment i use will go on well before the boards get near the pond.

Reaction score
there are two problems with composite decking that I've identified.

1) very expensive.
2) weak. much weaker than wood. I think you have to put your supports on 16 in centers if I'm not wrong. my supports won't be that close together.

I may just put the wood out raw without treating it and let it weather. it'll still probably last years.

rw

Reaction score
You're just concerned with additional moisture on the part of the deck that overhangs the pond? How close to the water will it be? Will you get splash from the waterfall or something?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use Trex, it can be bought at any Home Depot. Lasts forever, non toxic, stonger than wood and never needs paint.

Reaction score
what is Trex.

BTW, I checked with the White Mountain folks and their technical folks said you can use their product on wood as well.

Ask a Question