Salt as general remedy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting those pictures. So sorry they didn't make it. Nothing jumps out as abnormal.

Some fish are stronger than others so some will survive longer than their pond mates.

If the problem is with the new bog, I would suspect the caulking.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree with @WaterGardener - the tub itself shouldn't be the problem unless it was either dirty or a chemical was used in it. The caulking is most likely the issue. They can be toxic. Rock on a roll is fine, I have had in in my pond for 10+years and have had no issues. If you want to seal something, I recommend PL roof sealant. A lot of members here use it and I haven't heard anyone say they have had a problem with fish dying from it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @WaterGardener - the tub itself shouldn't be the problem unless it was either dirty or a chemical was used in it. The caulking is most likely the issue. They can be toxic. Rock on a roll is fine, I have had in in my pond for 10+years and have had no issues. If you want to seal something, I recommend PL roof sealant. A lot of members here use it and I haven't heard anyone say they have had a problem with fish dying from it.
I have since tried pls30 OMG its skin time is like 7 hrs and cure I think was 7 days . Not my first choice that's for sure I'm not that patient though we preach patience time and again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a follow-up to everyone's helpful advice on my original post: the problem was probably the silicone caulk as suggested - I removed as much of it as I could easily reach and did three partial water changes over a few days, and no more fish died. Since then - three months ago! - bog plants, waterlily, and floaters have grown and fish have thrived - I added a few Sarassa comets and a shubunkin, which all have doubled in size! Here's a current pic, but I plan to replace that huge bog tub with a smaller one (without the rock-on-a-roll) so as to have better viewing of the fish and more growing room for the waterlily. I'll also finish off the edges with stones. Thanks again to all!

Attachments

• Pond mid-September.jpg
    Pond mid-September.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 15

Ask a Question